Chapter Forty-Three

Three weeks later.

I stand anxiously in front of the sink, glaring at my reflection in the wall mirror. A blue cap and gown, shaggy brown hair and a five o'clock shadow.

I splash water across my face, trying my absolute hardest not think about what it would feel like to get completely trashed right now.

This is it. Graduation.

Suddenly there's oblivious knocking at the door. I revert my gaze to the guy standing with folded arms.

"What are you doing? The ceremony's started" Duncan cries in his bright blue gown.

It's been three weeks since his suicide attempt and in that time he's seen Raff six times and has started taking an antidepressant. I'm not expecting miracles but I can honestly say that he's looking better.

"I'm coming, I'm coming" I sigh will walking towards him.

He pats my back and we begin to walk through the halls and outside to the main area. A warm breeze and a bright sky, hundreds of people with cameras and wide smiles.

While taking a seat, my eyes search the crowd curiously. Jess' parents are here, so are Hayden and Duncan's.

It's occasions like these when I wish that mine were still around, but when I look up to see Aunt Laura with a bright smile and her cellphone, snapping shots of me, I don't need anyone else. She waves in my direction then points to Raff who sits beside her.

I smile. Raff made it.

I watch as all my friends and called up, one by one and receive their diploma. So, my wish did come true after all - we all graduated together.

"Last but certainly not least" the presenter starts with a smile, "Jason Sanders"

I stand up and begin walking onto the stage, in front of hundreds of people. I hear Aunt Laura cheering excitedly as I walk up the steps, where Mr Jacobs stands in a suit, holding my certificate, ready to shake my hand.

He smiles and looks at me proudly.

I look behind him, at my fellow classmates. I see Tyler, Jess, Duncan, and Hayden.

The plan was to survive senior year and made it. We lost one along the way, but we made it.

Mr Jacobs shakes my hand firmly and smiles. This man set me straight, he's the reason why I'm standing here today. I cannot thank him enough.

I join the group, where the presenter begins with the final ritual of the day.

"Give it up for the class of 2019" he cries.

We all throw our blue graduation caps in the air.

Here's the start of a new chapter of my life.

I look up to see my sister Angel, clapping next to Aunt Laura and Raff. She made it. I smile.

My family is far from perfect but they're my family, the only family I've ever known.

After the ceremony, I'm greeted by Angel who hugs me tightly.

"Look at you! High school graduate" she grins from ear to ear.

I laugh. "Where's Jeffrey?"

"Sam's got classes" she admits, "he says congrats"

"Thanks" I nod.

"I love you kids so much" Aunt Laura weeps with her arms around both Angel and I.

I look up to Raff who lifts a small toddler from beside him.

My eyes well up with tears while they stand a few feet in front of me. Her loosely curled blond hair and bright eyes, a pink little sundress.

"Cleo" Raff softens his voice, "this is Jason"

"Have they come up with a name?" I asked quickly.

He shrugged. "They were thinking of Lissie or Preciosa...Gina said it means Precious in Spanish..."

"Call the baby Cleo," I told Calum.

"Blue" the little girl laughs, pulling on my t-shirt.

"Hi there" I grin, taking her tiny little hand. "I'm Jason, I'm a friend of your grandpa's"

She giggles.

"I'm on babysitting duty and thought we would pass through to see you graduate" Raff admits.

"She's grown so much since the last time I saw her" Angel admits.

I look up to Raff.

I know what he's thinking. Aunt Laura, Raff and I all agreed that we were going to be honest with Angel about Elise.

I shake my head at him.

I don't think I can to do it.

Elise wanted this to remain a secret for a reason, so it wouldn't hurt the people that we both love. Perhaps it was always supposed to be a secret. Something shared between Elise and I and no one else.

I just wish that I got to know her daughter, my nephew. After all, she did give her life for that little girl. I doubt Chris would ever let me near her, but I wish I could get to know her, watch her grow up.

"Are you staying for lunch at Aunt Laura's, Raff?" Angel cocks a brow.

Raff shakes his head. "No, thank you, Chris is expecting me back with Cleo, then I've got to head back to the hospital".

"I'm glad you and Chris have gotten close" Angel smiles.

"Where are you babysitting? At the house?" Aunt Laura asks.

Raff shakes his head. "No, actually I was thinking to take her to the park"

I look over my shoulder to find Hayden talking to Duncan. After today, when will I see her again? She's moving to New York for college and I doubt she'll want anything to do with me.

I look back over to my family when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to find Hayden with her hands behind her back.

"Can I speak to you for a sec?" She requests.

I nod slowly, taking a few steps away from my family.

"I just wanted to say goodbye, you know" she drops her gaze to her shoes, "my family are going on summer vacation to some exotic location and when I get back I'm packing for New York..."

I nod slowly. "Okay"

"Can I just say...I really am sorry about all this" Hayden sighs, "I can only hope that I remember whatever it was that made our friendship so fucking great...Then maybe someday, I'll be able to reciprocate the love you have for me"

My body is floated with an overwhelming sadness as a ball of fire settles in my restricting throat. When I feel my eyes begin to sting, I look away from my best friend.

"So what do we do till then?" I ask, "remain strangers?"

She nods. "Yeah, I guess so"

Suddenly her dad calls her back for photos. Hayden waves me goodbye and walks back to her family.

Maybe someday, she'll remember me.

--------------------------

A/N

Two chapters left!!!

I hope you all enjoy <3

- Rose xx