Chapter Five

Hayden and I walk out of detention with the other students in front of us.

"So we going to the hospital?" Hayden questions as we walking through the double doors, leading us to the parking lot.

"I thought you were grounded?" I cock a brow as we arrive at my car.

We both jump into my car and buckle our seatbelts as she says "what does that matter?"

I sigh. Her parents must be having a lot of trouble with her; considering she disrespects them more than anyone that I've ever met. I had a friend in The Bronx who once threatened his parents, and even Hayden shows her parents more disrespect often than that guy.

"I don't want to be receiving verbally abusive calls from your parents" I chuckle whilst starting the engine.

Since I got my license, I have been taking Hayden home most days of the week. Her parents said that that way they know that she's with me and safe.

"They'll get over it" Hayden assures as I begin to reverse the car out of the parking spot. "You think he's spoken to the cops yet?"

"Probably" I tense up as driving through the parking lot, then after a few seconds, onto the street.

"You think he remembers what really happened that night?" She asks.

I remember the conversation that Duncan and I had only last night. I grip my steering wheel, in not only anger but in also fear.

"No" I shake my head "I hope he never does"

In the corner of my eye, I see that Hayden is almost fearful of my response. I know that if she knew everything that I did, she would say the same.

***

I stood in the elevator, standing perfectly still. I turn to my side to see Hayden. She pulled at her sleeves and begins fidgeting. She's nervous and I would be lying if I said I wasn't.

I always expect a doctor to come out and tell us that there were complications. I just need to keep telling myself that he's fine.

I take her shaking hand, to calm her down. "He's fine," I assure Hayden.

She nods, still unconvinced.

When the doors open, we slowly exit the elevator and begin walking down the hallway way.

"No, No, Stop!" We hear Duncan scream from his room.

I furrow my brows at Hayden as we quickly enter the room.

"Duncan dear please" the woman begs.

I smirk at the two.

"Mum I don't need my monsters inc socks!" Ducan cries, "now please go"

"Duncan-" his mum begs him.

"Please" Duncan repeats, causing his mother to walk towards Hayden and me.

"Speak to him please" the woman begs us.

"Oh hey, guys!" Duncan greets cheerfully as we walk towards his bed.

"Dunc" Hayden greets before hugging Duncan and kissing his cheek.

I can see Hayden's mood change immediately when she sees Duncan. She missed him. We all have.

"Jason, will ya leave us alone so I can finally have my way with Hayden?" Duncan smiles as I approach his bed.

Idiot. I miss his remarks. I guess the fact that Duncan's back to his old self, means that he's doing well.

"Good to see ya Duncan" I smirk whilst hugging my buddy.

"I wasn't kidding about the getting my way with Hay" Duncan smirks, causing me to slap the back of his head. "You can't hit a guy in a hospital bed" his eyes widen.

"I just did" I raise a brow.

He rolls his eyes. "So how was school?" Duncan asks cheerfully.

Hayden and I exchange the same look. If we tell Duncan about what's going on he'll just stress out. He doesn't need to know about the gossip going around about him.

"Could have been better" Hayden admits. "So when are you coming back? You've been in here long enough don't cha think"

"I'm getting discharged today" he cheers.

"Today?" Hayden and I repeat simultaneously.

No, its too soon.

"Uh don't chu think-" Hayden starts.

"What are the doctors saying?" I shamelessly interrupt Hayden.

"They said that I'm all good," Duncan assures us "so I can go home"

"You've got a head injury" Hayden points out as taking a seat beside Duncan on his hospital bed. "You were in a coma"

"For like a week" he rolls his eyes.

"Try two" I correct with narrowed eyes.

"I can't last this long without seeing you guys" Duncan begins to sob as looking down at his fingertips.

If he's trying to guilt-trip us, it's not going to work.

"You can get hurt Dunc" Hayden sobs as placing her head against his chest, wrapping her arms around him.

Okay, maybe guilt-tripping does work - well on Hayden anyways.

"I'll be fine" Duncan runs his fingers through my hair, "Jason, Tell her"

I sigh. I don't want him leaving the hospital as much as the next person but what can I do? Scream at him? If the doctors say that's he's okay, then we've got to trust that they know what they're doing.

"Hayden...they wouldn't discharge him if they thought that his health was at risk" I explain to her.

"See" Duncan shrugs, "so how's Jess and Ty?"

"Good" I nod "grounded....but fine"

"Well, I'll see them tomorrow so they can fill me in on what's been going on since I've been here" Duncan grins.

"Hold up" Hayden cries "you're going to school...tomorrow?"

My heart begins to beat faster. He can't come back to what we've had to deal with all day. He won't be able to handle it.

"Yeah" he nods.

He's bullshitting. You could tell when Duncan was full of shit; he just has this look. Plus his mum would never let him, no matter how much he begs.

"Ain't that a little...gee I don't know...soon" Hayden raises a brow. "

"I'm fine Hay" Duncan rolls his eyes. "I'm also kidding" he laughs.

"Duncan-" Hayden starts.

"I'll be back this time next week," he informs us, "So don't worry"

"What do your doctors say?" I repeat.

"They said I'm fine" he grins.

I look into his eyes. The old Duncan is back, after one hell of a summer, we've got him back.

"You have impaired memory" I soften my voice.

"You still don't remember anything before the summer?" Hayden asks him with a frown.

"Nothing" he shrugs.

I sigh in relief. I pray that he never remembers why he did what he did that night. If he remembers why then he'll remember that I'm the cause of all this.