Chapter Thirty-Five

I drink my bourbon quickly, before slowly walking up the steps of their home. The bottle stays in my right hand while my left presses against the doorbell, making it resemble a siren.

The dark sky sits above me with the stars shining bright. The sky always looks so much better when I'm drunk.

When the door opens, I stand slouching down, looking up at my friend.

"Jesus, you're wasted aren't you?" Tyler assumes while opening the front door.

"Are you crazy?" Jess cries while pushing past Tyler. "Do you have any idea what time it is?" She glared at me.

Jess places her hand on my chest, pushing me away from the door and onto the front porch. Tyler shuts the door behind him and walks towards us.

"You're a liar!" I yell, waving my index finger in the air, "she is different"

"What are you talking about?" Jess questions.

"She's gone" I slur my words. "And she ain't ever coming back!"

Hayden will never be Hayden again. She's dead. She's gone. Her memory is nothing now.

"Jason—" Tyler places his hand onto my shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" I order, pushing his hand off me.

"Jason, what's happened?" Jess questions.

"Hayden's gone!" I yell with tears rolling down my cheeks, "she doesn't remember me or...."

"What do you mean?" Tyler questions.

"Oh, haven't you heard? Hayden says I'm a stranger" I slur my speech whilst attempting to steady my balance. "I'm nothing to her!" I wave both arms in the air.

"Calm down" Tyler begs.

"I will not calm down!" I scream.

"Jas, you need to talk slower" Jess sighs "I can't understand what you're saying"

"She doesn't remember" I then unscrew the lid from the bottle bourbon slowly, "maybe Jimmy was right"

"Jimmy?" Jess furrows her brows.

"I hate Jimmy, you hear me!" I scream, glaring at Jess, dropping the lid onto the floor.

"Jess, go inside" Tyler begs her.

"No, I'm—" she starts.

"Now!" Tyler orders.

"I'm not going anywhere" she deadpans.

"That little bitch knew and she still kissed me" I shake my head before punching the pole beside me at full force. "Ahh, that hurt" I look down at my knuckles.

"Who?" Jess questions.

"Hayden!" I yell at the top of my lungs before looking at Tyler, "when did you get here?"

"Okay, I think you've had enough" Tyler starts, attempting to take my bottle away from me.

No, not my bottle. I need it. It numbs me up. It makes me feel good again.

"No!" I cry, immediately swinging my right fist against his face, making him stumble backwards.

Jess quickly moves to her cousin who is now bleeding on the floor. She drops to her knees to aid him.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Jess screams at me.

What did I do? I slowly take a few steps back. What have I done?

"I'm sorry" I sob, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry"

I didn't mean to do that.

I didn't.