Chapter Twenty-Five

January 10th 2019.

I spend twenty or so minutes pasting around in the parking lot before I enter the hospital to visit Hayden. Visiting hours have long passed but I manage to walk slowly down the hallway, avoiding the nurses as well as I can.

When I arrive in Hayden's room, I flick the light switch and feel the room with light. Immediately directing my gaze to Hayden, who lays in her hospital bed, with eyes shut.

I take a few steps towards her, kissing her cold forehead gently, causing her eyes to shoot open.

Ever since she woke up from her coma and entered the vegetative state, all she does is blink, keeping her eyes fixed in one position. Occasionally she is able to grip my hand if I hold hers but that's about all she does these days.

She begins staring at the wall in front of her. I sigh before walking towards the window.

The room is dead silent - I don't mind silence, it helps my mind ease. I look out the window to see the dark sky contrasting against the bright stars.

I always feel an immense amount of comfort when looking up at the sky. I guess that it reminds me of my mum. I  don't really believe in all that afterlife stuff but when I'm looking at the moon and the stars, I feel like my mum is watching me.

"Mmmmm" I hear a voice moan from behind me, I turn around to see Hayden attempting to sit up.

I widen my eyes in shock. I stand perfectly still for a moment, watching as she begins to move.

What the hell?

I shake my head violently before hitting the nurses button that sits beside her bed.

"Hayden" I cry, "You're awake"

Hayden widens her eyes. She looks at me as if I were a stranger before reverting her eyes down at her hands.

I stand in shock. Not knowing what to say. She's awake? She's awake and moving after her doctors told us that we will never get her back.

When the doctor enters he simply says "Miss Jones can you can hear me?" before flashing his torch in her eyes "pupils are normal"

Hayden begins shaking her head before looking to her right where a clock sat on the nightstand.

"What's wrong with her?" I ask the doctor.

"She's just woken up" he informs "just give her some time"

Hayden keeps her eyes on the clock that sat on the nightstand beside her. She reaches for it but struggles. The doctor takes the clock and gives it to her. Hayden begins touching the surface, tapping in the glass.

She looks up and furrows her brows at us.

I don't recognize her eyes.

"Tactile" the doctor starts "it's a good sign...Would you like some water?" He asks her slowly.

She nods hesitantly as the nurse beside the doctor walks over to Hayden, pouring the water into her mouth, using a cup.

"Hayden?" I say slowly.

She looks up at me cautiously.

"You're in the hospital" the doctor explains, "you've been an accident...Can you tell me your name?"

"Hay.....Hayden" she starts slowly, choking on her words.

She narrows her eyes before tears begin running down her face. Hayden looks down at her hands and attempts to rip all the tubes from her arms.