Chapter Twenty-Six

We'll kill her

I jump up from my bed and begin gasping for air with a cold sweat running from my forehead.

It was only a dream, Jason.

I rub my palms against my eyes, sighing in relief.

Suddenly my phone begins buzzing viciously from my nightstand. Breathing heavily, I begin scrolling through the wall of texts from Duncan.

She's up for visitors.
She's sleeping right now, but if you want to come to say hi, I'll be here. The doc said she's having trouble with her memory but that's all temporary.

Temporary memory problems. How long will that take to resolve? I wonder how severe?

I climb my way out of bed and leave my bedroom where aunt Laura stands still by the door.

"Hungover?" She cocks a brow, holding a mug filled with coffee.

Just a little.

I sigh "where's my car?"

"In the driveway, I had it towed" Aunt Laura announces while passing me her coffee mug "here"

"Thanks" I hold the warm mug in her hands, "she's up for visitors...I don't know how to act around her Aunt Laura...She was so ashamed of having epilepsy that she kept it a secret and she tried running away—"

"Do you want me to talk to her?" She asks.

I look up "what?"

"Maybe I can make her see that having epilepsy isn't something to be ashamed of," Aunt Laura tells me, "I was her age once...a scared kid who saw epilepsy as a curse that made me different from everyone else"

I nod my head "I think you're right"

"We should go to the hospital after breakfast" she smiles, "I made scrambled eggs"

"Thank you...for everything," I tell her.

"It's not a problem Jas" Aunt Laura assures me.

"No, I mean...thank you for being such a good friend to me and taking care of me like I'm your own kid..."

"When I signed those papers, you become my kid" she reminds me, "you will always be mine, you got that"

I nod "got it"

***

I walk down the hallway slowly. I take a deep breath before wrapping my right hand around the doorknob.

"I'm not ready" I admit to my aunt, "when Duncan woke up from his coma, I thought he was going to be the same person...but he wasn't...what if the same happens to Hayden?"

"You'll never know until you see" she shrugs.

She's right. Hell, she is always right. I nod slowly before opening the door.

Immediately, I spot Hayden sitting up on her bed with a smile. She had regained some of the colour in her cheeks and looked as though she's been to hell and back.

"...Jason" She grins.

"You remember?" I raise my brows in relief.

Thank God.

"How could I ever forget my best friend?" Hayden cocks a brow.

I walk quickly towards her before wrapping my arms around my friend.

"Why didn't you tell about your epilepsy?" I whisper.

"I guess that I didn't want people to treat me differently" she admits while I pull away.

I guess I can understand that, but it's such a big thing to hide from someone that you've known so long.

I knew about your her mother having epilepsy. I still remember when I first transferred here and the ambulances had to come for her in the middle of the night.

"We've been friends for so long Hay" I sigh, "we should be able to talk about things"

"You saying you don't keep things from me?" Hayden asks, looking at me as though she knows something.

I guess that that makes me a hypocrite. I don't ever share anything about my life but expect others to do the same. That's why Hayden has never opened up to me, all because of that stupid pact.

"You gave me a heart attack you know that" I take her hand, "I thought I was going to lose you"

"But you didn't" she looks down.

"Jas" a voice calls from the door.

I look over my shoulder, already knowing that the voice belongs to Aunt Laura. I guess it's time for them two to chat.

"I'll be back" I reassure Hayden before slowly making my way to the door, pass aunt Laura.

Aunt Laura takes a seat beside Hayden. "What's going on with you, kiddo?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" Hayden frowns.

"....Did you know that I have epliepsy? I was ashamed about it for a long time...So much so that I tried running away too..."

"You think that I ran away because I have epliepsy?" Hayden looks up in surprise.

"Did you?" Laura folds her arms in confusion 

She shakes her head violently. "Laura, I ran away because I was raped..."

"You what?" Laura's eyes widen.

--------------------------------------

Hi all,

The next chapter will be set in Hayden point of view.

There is also a trigger warning as it heavily speaks of and depicts sexual assault. If you are sensitive to this topic then I suggest skipping the next chapter.

For sexual assault/harassment help, please contact a hotline listed below (apologies if your country is not listed).

USA hotline:

1-800-656-HOPE

RAINN - +18006565673

Australia:

1800-RESPECT

AWDR - 1800 333 666

Reachout.com - https://au.reachout.com/articles/sexual-assault-support

UK website:

http://uksaysnomore.org/get-help/

Please visit: https://www.rainn.org/

Canada:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/lets-stop-sexual-harassment-and-violence

http://www.awhl.org/

Toll Free: 1-866-863-0511
Toll Free TTY: 1-866-863-7868

http://www.talk4healing.com/

Telephone: 1-855-554-4325

Mental Health Crisis Line: A 24/7 helpline to assist people experiencing a mental health problem or crisis.

http://www.crisisline.ca/home.htm

Telephone: 613-722-6914

Thank you