Chapter Eight

I exit the bathroom slowly, only just managing to control my breathing. I walk quickly through the hallway, making my way to my locker.

I press the tips of my finger against my combination lock. Once the door swings open, I take my laptop and notebooks, ready for a sixth and seventh period.

AP Biology with Mr Glimmer. I shut the door forcefully, by accident. Sometimes, I'm unaware of my own strength.

"Aww someone's in a mood," a voice comments as following me down the hallway in an entertained tone of voice.

"Not today Jackson" I warn him as continuing walking.

Jackson and Mason are the only people in that school that would torment me. Everyone else is too afraid. I've been in a shitty mood since lunch, and when I'm in a shitty mood-I fear myself.

"What's the matter? Thinking about-" he starts.

"I said not today!" I cry as shoving him against a nearby wall, with my forearm pressed firmly against his throat.

I breathe heavily in exhaustion. My heart beats faster, as my eyes were wide in anger. He looks afraid. Hell, even I'm a little afraid. I remove my arm and continue walking down the hall, with many eyes on me.

One more suspension and I don't graduate. You need to calm down Jason, before you do something stupid, again.

I enter the classroom to find Hayden already sitting down. She's here before me, so I guess there really is a first for everything.

On the desk beside us, the new girl sat. Hayden is speaking to the new girl? Since when is she social? I sit in my seat beside Hayden causing her to snap her head towards me.

"Jas this is Ayla" Hayden introduces, "Ayla this is Jason"

I look at the new girl for a single second. The plan was to enjoy at least one of my birthdays, how's that going?

"Hey there," she waves at me.

I place my books on the desk and ignore the two.

She'll be worm meat by the end of the year. People like that don't usually last that long around here.

I wonder what clique she'll join. Our group is filled with antisocial people, but I'm the biggest of them all. We have an antisocial scale (created by Duncan), it goes me, Jess, Tyler, Hayden, then Duncan.

"Jason doesn't like to speak" Hayden explains.

Only to people, I don't like. I speak to those that I want to speak to, simple as that.

"Right" Ayla nods as moving her blond hair behind her ears.

"Ayla is a fellow pessimist" Hayden informs me.

I turn to Hayden. What are you doing? You know that I don't like socializing yet you insist on introducing them to people. Why? Huh. I sigh in frustration before looking back at my notebook.

"A pessimist is just an optimist with experience" Ayla reveals.

"Nah, a pessimist is someone who's had to put up with too many optimists" Hayden laughs.

Why me? Why me? If I have to hear any more of this, I'm going to put my head through a brick wall.

"How long have the two of you been riding the pessimistic train?" A deep voice asks from above us.

"Too long" I mutter whilst continuing reading.

"Sorry..." Ayla apologizes to Mr Glimmer.

"You must Be Aaliyah Stewart...I'm Mr Glimmer, your biology teacher" he introduces himself.

"Hi" she smiles.

"I need a volunteer to help me grab some equipment from the storage room, Jason" he looks over to me. I shoot him an unenthusiastic look. "Okay then, what about you Hayden?"

Say no. Say no. If you leave me alone with a sociable pessimist, I will actually kill you.

"Sure, no problem" Hayden stands up, "be nice" she whispers in my ear before walking away.

I'm actually going to kill Hayden. I sigh in frustration.

"So I'm Ayla...." she repeats to me, "but you already know that...cause Hayden said it like a minute ago-"

This is actually painful to listen to. I would prefer to watch paint dry than let this go on for any longer.

"Look" I start whilst facing her, "I'm having a really fucking shitty day and to be honest you're kinda adding to the fuel...so if you don't mind not talking to me I would really appreciate it" I then snap my head back to my notebook.

Well, I'd say that I handled that pretty well, actually. I didn't curse or raise my voice, and if anyone overheard I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get into trouble. Oops, I did curse, still, I don't think that would get me a detention, and if it did then I could most likely talk my way out of it.

"Hey," Hayden greets when returning "What did I miss?"

"Nothing," Ayla says quietly.

I can tell that Hayden knows that something is up, but I honestly don't care at this point. I'm honestly too mentally drained to care anymore.

"What did you do?" Hayden whispers in my ear.

Her warm breath blows into my ear, down my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

It's only when I hear her voice when I realize what I had done. It wasn't a big deal, was it? I shrug instead of responding, it was easier that way.

---------------------------

Hi all,

Just a reminder that the characters in this series are FLAWED. Jason is NOT a horrible person, he's just wary of who he lets into his life because everyone who enters seems to leave real quick and under terrible circumstances. He was also abused, which gave him many repercussions.

Please VOTE if you're enjoying this book :)

Thank you

Happy reading!