Chapter Ten

Funerals have been something almost routine for Angel and I since we were kids. I remember the very first time that we lost someone - somehow, we managed to remember the funeral clearer than we'll ever be able to remember her. We watched as everyone grieved this amazing person that we never got to know.

Angel and Sam were meant to return back to New York after my birthday. Instead, they stayed in town another week for the funeral. Aunt Laura gave Angel some of her clothes to wear, and Sam was able to grab some clothes from his parent's place.

It was an outdoor funeral, everyone dressed in either a black suit or black dress. There were a lot of people there - to my surprise. Some from the nursing home, some neighbours, some from the studio where she would paint for local businesses.

Everyone was in tears. Angel and I seemed to be the only exception along with the funeral director and Sam. I guess when you've lost the number of people we have, you kinda get used to letting them go. Aunt Laura wasn't blessed with the same experience as we had. We've come out as pros in this field, not many people can say the same.

"It was only two years ago, we were standing here burying grandpa" Angel drops her gaze to her shoes, "strange how these things go"

I raise my brows, "on my birthday, huh?"

"Yeah, that sucks, eh?" Angel sighs before reverting her gaze to Aunt Laura in the distance. She stood there in tears, hugging family friends after the service. "She's tough, she'll get through it"

I nod "I don't doubt it"

"But?" She cocks a brow.

Angel and I are alike in more ways than one. We both have the same fear of people leaving.

"Sometimes I just wonder who's next" I admit before letting out a sigh, "and I know that's dark...But I can't help it"

Angel wraps her arms around me, "you can't think like that Jas, because if you do, you'll never get close to anyone...that's no way to live, believe me, I know, I've been there"

"These walls have been up for so long Ang," I say as stroking her hair, "I don't know how to take them down"

"It takes a lot of time" she admits, "a lot of time"

"Hello, you two" a new voice greets. Angel and I, Immediately snap our heads up to find a couple around Aunt Laura's age. The man wears a black suit whilst the woman is in a black dress and hat. "It's been a while," the woman says.

Angel and I exchange confused looks. "Hello" I greet them both.

"Laura isn't around is she?" The man raises a brow.

Who are these people? A friend of the family, maybe?

"Uhh, yeah, somewhere" I admit.

"It's alright Matthew, we will leave soon" his wife assures her.

Matthew? Ohhh. Uncle Matt. My mother and Aunt Laura's older brother. He lives in Florida, I think. He and Aunt Laura had a falling out years ago, they haven't really spoken since.

"Aunt Lara and Uncle Matthew" I snap my fingers as looking over to Angel.

"Ohh" he nods.

"Matt" a new voice greets coldly.

"Laura" Uncle Matthew averts his gaze away from his sister.

"C'mon kids" Aunt Laura sniffs, "if I stay any longer I'll be seeing tombstones in my sleep"

I nod slowly as my aunt places an arm over my shoulder and another over Angel's. The three of us walk side-by-side through the cemetery sith Sam following, behind us.

"What did you do to him?" Angel whispers in curiosity.

"I slept with his best friend and his ex-husband" aunt Laura admitted. I shoot her a surprise expression. "What can I say? I was a wild child" she admits with a forced smile.

Angel and I exchange curious looks as we walk back to the car in silence.

---------------------------

A/N

Hi all,

Just letting you guys know that I'm aiming to complete this book before the end of January. I actually wrote this story in 2017 under a different name. So I'm just editing and doing light rewriting before publishing them - hence why I'm able to get so many chapters out at once :)

Also, I still haven't decided if the next book 'The Honest One' will be about Andrea or aunt Laura yet. If it is aunt Laura, then this chapter is a segue for her potential book as well as a small taste of what's to come. Please let me know which character you prefer the book to be about :)

Please VOTE if you're enjoying this story.

Thank you

Happy reading!