Chapter Fifteen

I walk through the hallways quickly. I haven't seen any of my friends yet today. Second period just ended so perhaps I'll see them as the day goes by.

I walk towards Hayden's locker where I find her standing perfectly still.

"Hayden" I raise both brows. "You're back? Where have you been?"

I haven't seen her in like a week. If it were a month ago, I wouldn't have asked. Something Ayla said stuck out to me.

"Sick" Hayden says simply, "apparently Ayla and Duncan are dating?"

I blink. "Dating?"

I've heard both Duncan and Ayla mention that they've been hanging out. I guess I knew that they were interested in each other, but no, I wasn't aware that they're dating.

"Yeah, I overheard someone say that they saw them at the movies together" she explains, "did you know?"

"I know that they've been spending time together" I admit as she drops her gaze to her shoes. "I'll ask him about it later...anyway so how are you feeling better?"

"Huh?" She looks up and cocks a brow.

"You just said you were sick" I furrow my brows.

"Oh," Hayden nods.

She looks nervous why? After what happened with Jess and Tyler. I know better than to let these things slide.

Her parents once sent her to school with the flu. I shouldn't be suspicious. But I guess after learning about Jess and Tyler's secret, how can I not be?

"Is there something that you're not telling me?" I soften my voice.

"Uh no...part of my sickness is stupidity" she shrugs.

Does she actually think that I would buy that?

"Hayden-" I fold my arms.

"Honestly I'm fine" she cries, "gotta go to class though" with that, she walks quickly in the opposite direction.

"We're in the same class!" I cry.

"Hi, Jason" Duncan greets cheerfully as walking to my side with Tyler beside him.

I sigh "Hayden is acting so shady-"

Tyler's eyes widen. "H-Hayden's back?"

I nod "yeah, she just ran away from me" I admit. "we have class together next so-"

Tyler looks nervous, perhaps because Jess is having her transplant tomorrow and is forced to keep it a secret. This nervous energy only seemed to become apparent when I mentioned Hayden.

"With Ayla, right?" Duncan asks.

"You doing her or something?" Tyler cocks a brow.

"Shut up" his face flushes red.

"That reminds me how did your movie date go?" I fold my arms, remembering Hayden's words from earlier.

"Movie date?" Tyler repeats in shock.

"We may have gone on a few dates" Duncan admits.

"She's okay Tyler" I assure him.

Tyler raises her brows, "really? Coming from you?"

I nod as I curve the corners of my lips. "Anyway, I'm gonna be late, see ya' later" with that I walk away from the two.

When I arrive in class, Hayden is nowhere in sight. How if she left before me? Where is she? Is Hayden just not going to show up? I look over to Ayla who I knew was thinking the same thing as me.

Suddenly I hear quick footsteps from beside me. I look to see Hayden keeping her head down before taking a seat beside me. Something is wrong. I can't see her face but can hear sniffing.

"Miss Jones" Mr Glimmer greets as standing across the room, "Nice of you to finally join us"

She doesn't respond. Why? Glimmer is her favourite teacher. Something's wrong, I can feel it.

"Hayden" Ayla says hushedly.

I can hear her breathing heavily. My heart beats faster in concern. What going on? I've never seen Hayden like this.

"Miss Jones, can I have a word?"
Mr Glimmer asks walking towards us.

Hayden just keeps her head down and doesn't respond. Why isn't she responding?

"Hay-" I begin.

"Hayden" Mr Glimmer repeats.

Without warning, Hayden jumps up and quickly runs out of the classroom. What the hell? That is the most dramatic thing that I've ever seen her do.

I quickly follow her down the hallway. Geez, she moves quickly.

She enters the girl's restroom. I take a deep breath and enter with caution. I immediately see my best friend standing in front of a mirror, looking at her reflection as if it were strangers.

Hayden jumps when she sees my reflection through the mirrors. She slowly turned around to face me. She's been crying, why? Her nose is red, her eyes are pink, and her cheeks are stained with tears.

We both take a few steps towards each other before I wrap my arms around her, pulling her head into my chest. She's shaking. I can feel her heart beating, practically out of her chest.

Something's happened.

After what finding out about the situation with Jess and Tyler, I can't let this thing with Hayden go.

"What happened in there?" I ask but she doesn't respond, "you can tell me anything, you know that, right?"

Hayden looks up at me with tears streaming down her cheeks. She shakes her head violently as placing her head back against my chest.

I sigh as kissing the top of her head in fear.

-----------------------------

A/N

Hi all,

So any theories about what's going on with Hayden? Let me know :)

Also, when this book is complete I might add a few bonus chapters showing Hayden's point of view of this whole situation.

Please VOTE if you're enjoying this book :)

Thank you

Happy reading!