Chapter Forty

Six weeks later

When I arrive at Lockwood high, I park my car in the school's parking lot.

Thank God my windows are tinted, I already see eyes staring at me. They always are. When are they not?

Senior year has gone so fast. I made some new friends, lost friends, hell even lost myself for a minute there.

I open my car door ready to step out.

Let's go, Jason.

The last day of high school ever.

Suddenly my phone buzzes. I press my cell against my ear while walking quickly through the parking lot, ignoring the eyes that are following me.

"Jason, how are you doing?" Bill asks.

I smile. "Good man, good"

"That's good to hear," my sponsor says, "just calling to let you know that the AA meeting has been moved to a different location tonight because of a power issue...I'll text you the details"

I nod. "Sound's good to me, bud"

Bill has been my sponsor for six weeks now. I see him at our AA meetings and we call each other when I need help with alcoholism or anxiety.

Thanks to him, I've been sober six weeks with no setbacks or slip-ups.

"I'll see you tonight" with that he ends the calls.

I stuff my phone into my jacket pocket when I walk through the double doors. I arrive at the hallway where I see Tyler and Jess standing by my locker.

It has always been mentally draining walking down these halls.

Everyone's eyes have always been on me. After the year I've had, I think that maybe I'm finally used to it.

"Hey, Jas" Jess smiles with her shoulder-length hair pulled behind her ears, "Last day, huh?"

I begin to open my locker. 18 42 65; opened on my first ago like always. I take my laptop bag and books, for homeroom and first period.

I turn around to see Jess and Tyler "yeah, thank God...Have you seen Duncan?"

Tyler shakes his head. "He's probably gone to the cafeteria, bugging the lunch ladies again"

I laugh.

"Hayden's probably late as usual" Jess half-smiles.

I shut my locker door. I don't ask about Hayden. We haven't been close since her accident and I don't tend to rekindle anything with her.

"Yeah" I shrug.

"You two should talk" Tyler moves his hands to his jacket pockets.

"About what?" I raise a brow, "how little she thinks of me?" They both sigh, while I just roll my eyes. "Where's Duncan?"

Jess shrugs "absent"

"Again?" I fold my arms.

He hasn't been here two days in a row. Finals are next week, if he doesn't turn up, he'll risk not graduating.

Suddenly my phone buzzes in my jacket pocket. I look down to find Hayden's name flashing across the screen.

I haven't received a phone call from Hayden since before her accident.

"Who is it?" Jess asks.

I furrow my brows while pressing my cell against my ear. "Hayden"

"....I need you to get over here" Hayden announces.