Chapter Forty-Four

Two years later

2021

"We're going to miss it" aunt Laura cries while walking quickly down the sixth-hundred hallway today— each looks identical to the last.

Pale walls and each room has the strong scent of cleaning products. The tiles on the floor almost make me slip when attempting to catch up to Aunt Laura's pace.

"We're not going to miss it" I shake my head violently as Aunt Laura storms through the door.

Immediately, we find Angel sitting on the hospital bed with Ned on one side and Sam on the other. All admiring a little baby that laid on her chest while nurses dressed in pink, walk around the room.

"What's his name?" Ned asked Angel and Sam.

"Sterling" Sam announced.

"After my grandma, Stella" Angel explained.

My heart launches from my chest. After grandma? She was the sweetest woman that I had the pleasure of knowing.

Suddenly both aunt Laura and Ned began crying.

"That's perfect" aunt Laura sobs while we approach the couple.

At the sound of her voice, Angel's eyes light up. "You made it," she says with a combination of tears and sweat beams running down her pale cheeks.

Her brown hair is messy and soaked in her own sweat. She lays bare-chested with a small baby screaming.

"He's such a cute kid" I kiss my sister on the cheek.

The birth of Angel's child is celebrated as though it is a joyous occasion. But I can't help but think about how there was only mourning at the birth of Elise's child.

I was there for both. It seems almost unfair to me, Elise should have been able to experience the same joy without it leading to her grave.

"Thanks for coming all this way," she says to me.

I've never been to Washington before today. Angel and Sam had only just moved here.

After seeing the baby, Aunt Laura was planning to stay here for a few days then fly to New York for business. I'm considering flying their tonight to see Jess then fly back to San Francisco.

It's been a long time since I was in New York. I fought so hard to leave all those years ago, I never would have dreamed of going back.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world" I assure her, looking down at baby Sterling.

"Can everyone but the father please wait outside while we remove the placenta?" The midwife requests.

We all nod as walking out of the room. In the hallway, we spot a woman, sitting with her caramel legs crossed, twirling her black curly hair.

Ned wraps his arms around her and smiles. "Andi! They named him Sterling"

"Sterling? That's so cute" the woman grins.

Ned pulls away and looks over to aunt Laura and I. "Oh guys, this is my girlfriend, Andi"

Girlfriend? Ned Carter is in a relationship. I never thought I'd ever see the day. I still remember all the stories Elise would tell in worrisome about his meaningless hookups and love for parties. She would be so incredibly proud of her big brother.

Aunt Laura smiles warmly at the woman. "It's nice meeting you, Andi"

"How long are you two staying?" I ask.

"An hour or so, then we'll go home" Ned shrugs. "I haven't seen you in ages, dude, how you been?"

I probably haven't spoken to Ned Carter since Angel and Sam's wedding. In all the years that I've known him, he has never recognized me from my time spent with Elise. Neither has Chris.