Chapter Twenty-Four

December Twenty-Fourth, 2018

Aunt Laura always tried to make Christmas memorable. Every year, there was a big tree in the living room with neatly wrapped presents underneath.

However, not this year.

With Angel and Sam in New York, grandma just passing, and Hayden in the hospital - neither of us felt like celebrating. So when aunt Laura was called into work last minute on Christmas Eve, she didn't complain.

Tyler, Jess, and Duncan began spamming the group chat with God knows what. I chose to ignore them while I sat in the driver's seat of my car with a gym bag filled with cash beside me.

When my wristwatch read 10:59 pm, I stepped out of the car, with the bag in my hand.

I stand perfectly still, away from my car, in the centre of the parking lot, breathing slightly heavy.

When my watch read 11:00 pm, I look up to find the guy standing in front of me.

"Do you have it?" Jim questions, placing his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket.

"Here" I nod, passing him the black gym bag.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Sanders" Jim laughs while slowly taking a few steps back.

"You go near them again, I swear to God I'll kill you" I threaten.

"Relax" he half-smiles with a malicious look in his eyes. "Say hi to Hayden for me"

I clench my jaw. He laughs while leaving my sight. My heart beats at a million miles when I begin making my way back to my car.

He better leave them alone, now. If he doesn't, I don't know what the hell I'd do.

My cellphone begins buzzing viciously. I look down to find Angel's name flashing across the screen.

Inhaling deeply, I press my cell against my ear. "Angel, hi"

"Merry Christmas!" She screams, "What is my little brother doing tonight?"

I search my surroundings. I just gave the guy that dad sent to rough me up a pay out so he would leave me and my friends alone. Then, I was planning on visiting an old friend, then probably Hayden in the hospital.

"Not a lot" I admit. "You're a little early, Christmas isn't until another hour"

"Is Aunt Laura there, can I speak with her?"

Her voice sends a shiver down my spine. I don't know why, but whenever I hear Angel's voice or see Angel's face, all I can think about is her.

I sigh "She's working Ang..."

"Oh, probably why she's not picking up, makes sense" she says, "when you see her, can you get her to call me?"

"Will do" I nod before ending the call.

I run my fingers through my hair anxiously before hitting my head continuously against the steering wheel.

Images of her face flash through my head.

Snap out of it, Jason.

I pull out of my phone to find a message.

Are you on your way?

I respond with: I'll be there in 10.

***

Rain pours violently from the sky while I stand knocking at her front door. When the door swings open, we stand perfectly still for a few moments, looking deeply into each others eyes.

It's been too long.

"C'mon get in" Lara begs, "it's freezing out there"

I nod, taking a few steps into her home. Immediately, I spot the little four year old boy running in my direction.

"Jason!" He screams while jumping into my arms.

"Monkey" I hug the boy tightly, "Geez, I've missed you, sooo much"

Lara's son has never had a male figure in his life. With a father he never knew and absent grandparents and uncles, I'm the closes the thing he has to a father.

For the last four years, I've embraced him as a father would a son.

"Liam, what are you doing up?" Lara cries, "Santa Claus can't deliver your presents unless you're asleep"

"But Jason's here—" He argues.

"Liam" she firms her gaze, "now please"

The boy rolls his eyes "ugh"

I smile at the boy while we watch him leave the room. I then revert my gaze to Lara who sighs.

"Are you hungry? There's leftovers in the fridge" she lowers her voice. I shake my head slowly before leaning my head against the wall. "What is it?" She asks softly.

"Hayden's in the hospital...and I um just paid off some guy that my dad knew to leave my friends and I alone...and it's Christmas and I'm..."

"You're doin' all you can...You're keeping your head above water" she assures.

"Then why do I feel like I'm drowning?" I retort, looking her dead in the eye.

"She would be so proud of you" Lara half-smiles, "of both of us I think...of what we've achieved"

Lara has come a long way. When Elise and I first met her she was a senior in high school with a baby who had no idea what path she was going down. Now she's twenty-one and in college, a history major like Elise inspired her to be.

"I loved her so God damn much Lara, she was my sister...and I couldn't tell anyone...and now it's eating me inside"

"Every one who ever met her, loved her...she had that effect on people" Lara shrugs. "The gurl knew she wasn't gonna survive labour and told nobody cause she didn't want to worry them...who the hell does that?" Lara chuckles.

"I can't look at my sister without thinking about her" I admit to Lara, "I can't even hear Angel's voice without being reminded of who...Elise was to me...this secret is eating me alive Lara, ever since she died, I've had this pit in my gut...like a part of me died along with her"

"It was three years ago, Jason" She reminds me.

I nod slowly "and yet her ghost still follows me around"

"You were always one for the theatrics" she smirks.

"I'm serious, Lara"

Lara places a hand on my cheek, forcing me to look her in the eye,"Just tell them...let go of all this guilt and resentment and move on with your God damn life" she begs.

Her big brown eyes are soft. She places a hand on my chest, where she feels my heart beating twice as fast.

I move my head closer to hers "I can't" I whisper just as my voice breaks.

Lara sighs "I know" She then wraps her arms around me warmly.

I slump my head onto her shoulder and frown, directing my eyes at the wall ahead.

"Merry Christmas" I gulp down hard.

------------------------------------

Hi all,

This chapter correlates with chapters 21, 43, 50, and the epilogue of The Precious One so I suggest checking them out to refresh your memory.

It is very evident that Lara and Jason have grown very close since Elise's death - what do you guys think of their friendship?

Please VOTE if you're enjoying this book.

Thank you

Happy reading!