Chapter Thirty-One

I stand in front of the house, watching as he walks up the driveway with a brown paper bag in his hand and a straight face.

How did it come to this?

How did I get here?

Things used to be so different. I used to be happy. I had my friends and aunt Laura and things were good. Now, I have to worry about surviving. I haven't had to carry that fear on my shoulders since I was back in New York, living under my father's roof.

"I hope you know what you're doing" Sam sighs while handing me the brown paper bag.

"What did you tell Angel?" I ask, taking the bag from his grasp.

I don't know how Sam came up with the money in a day, but I've been trying not to think about that too much. If I do, I'm flooded by guilt and shame.

"That I'm going to San Francisco to visit my mum" he admits while sliding his hands into his jacket pocket, "not a complete lie..."

"Thanks" I nod.

I can always count on Sam Jeffrey when it matters.

"How can you be sure these guys will leave you alone after tonight? After all, you said you've paid them before"

Jimmy told Hayden that he's finishing up business here before heading back to New York. He might be back eventually, but after tonight, I won't have to deal with him any more.

"I just know" I assure.

"Just be careful out there" he begs, with a look of overwhelming fear.

I drop my gaze to my feet, "when am I not?"

***

I stand at the docks at eleven pm, waiting for Jimmy to arrive.

Gee, if it wasn't for my dad, I would have never got caught up in this mess.

The night Duncan was hurt, still haunts me like a bad dream, thanks to my father. After tonight, nothing like that will ever happen again.

Suddenly, I look up to see a figure walking towards me in the darkness. Jimmy's face is revealed while he stands before me in black pants and shirt.

"This is it...Then we're straight," I say calmly, handing him the bag.

"Is this all of it?" Jim questions while I take a few long steps back, in the direction of my car.

I nod slowly in fear.

Suddenly he pulls out a Glock pistol, making me widen my eyes, taking another step back.

Damn it, a gun. Why the fuck did he bring a gun?

My heart rate increases while looking directly at the man then down the barrel of the pistol.

Jimmy held the bag filled with cash in his hand while narrowing his eyes at me. He clenches his jaw. My heart skips a beat when my face flushes with heat.

He wasn't nervous, he had done this before.

"Wait—" I raise my arms up slowly while my heart drops to my stomach.

Jimmy places his hand on the trigger, ready to press down.

I open my mouth to object but soon hear a loud bang. When I feel multiple bullets pierce me, I look down at my body to find holes in my chest.

I fall back onto the concrete with a tear running out of the corner of my eyes.

The last thing I hear is his loud footsteps racing in the opposite direction before fading away. My ears are then filled with static noise while looking up at the stars in the sky.

Maybe it's all the liquor that I drank before getting here, but I see my family dancing around the moon. All of them. My grandparents. My mother. My sisters. They're all there. And they're all happy.

Mum is twirling Trisha around and around just like she always used to. Grandma and Grandpa are doing their weird 60s dance, just like they always did at parties. And Elise is smiling, she's looking right at me and nodding her head in approval before taking Trisha's hand.

Suddenly I feel a whip of pain across my cheeks, forcing him to lower my gaze to the man on his knees, hovering over me.

"Jason! You're alright, you're alright" his blurry mouth screams.

I began gasping for air when sitting up quickly, ripping open my combat jacket where I find a Kevlar bulletproof vest.

"How can you be sure these guys will leave you alone after tonight? After all, you said you've paid them before"

"I just know" I assured.

"Just be careful out there" Sam begged with a look of overwhelming fear.

I dropped my gaze to my feet, "when am I not?"

"You're going to get yourself killed..." Sam shook his head while pulling out a bulletproof visit from his backpack. "Take this...If Jimmy tries anything—"

"Thank you"

"Can you stand?" Sam gives me his hand, helping up from the cold concrete.

I struggle to stand up while removing my jacket and the heavy vest.

The back of my head throbs in pain. I run my fingertips against my head, only to find bright red blood.

"Damn it" I gasp when looking down at my bloody hand.

"You'll live," Sam tells me while holding the bulletproof vest and my jacket in his hands. "Lucky I came with you"

I look down at my stomach and chest where I find severe bruising from the gunshots.

I pull out my phone from my back pocket where I find several missed calls from Duncan and Tyler.

What's happened?

My vision grows blurry as I attempt to walk. Jesus, how the fuck am I meant to go anywhere?

I immediately go to my contacts and call Tyler, while Sam guides me to the car.

"How did it go?" Tyler questions.

No hi or hello? He spoke in a harsh tone, what's going on?

I look down at my bruised chest and stomach.

"Fine" I clench my jaw.

"You don't sound fine" he observes.

"Both you and Duncan have been calling" I start, "what's going on? All the fuss isn't over me, I presume"

"We need you to come down to the hospital" he orders.

Hospital?

My heartrate spikes fearfully. What's happened?

"...Why?" I ask cautiously.

"It's a long story, so how bout you get over here and Duncan will explain...We're at Zuckerberg General..." he sighs, "I gotta go" with that he ends the call.

"What was that about?" Sam looks over to me in concern while he slides me into the passenger seat.

Good question.

"Take me to Zuckerberg General" I sigh in fear while bloody runs down my neck.

I roll up my jacket and press it against my wound while Sam drives off in my car.

----------------------

A/N

Hi all,

This is a super big chapter and so is the next one so I hope you all enjoy it!!!

Also, there was 45 chapters + an epilogue in this book so we're almost there.

Thank you

Happy reading!!

P.s a kid commented on The Silent One that they learn more from my books then they do in school - day made!