Chapter 1

"Geonbae!" you cheered, clinking your shot glass with your best friend, Yuqi. The two of you made a disgusted yet satisfying face after consuming the alcohol.

"I could get used to this." Yuqi commented. For someone who was a few months younger than you, her voice was as deep as the blue sky. Comforting and relaxing. "I really can't believe we're here."

"I know right, it's like a dream." you agreed. The bar that you guys were at wasn't what you were referring to. But bring in the city in general. The two of you earned a scholarship to study for your graduate programs at the top university here in Seoul. There was never a doubt that you wouldn't study here since there wasn't anything left for you in your hometown. You had left everything. Your abusive father who is now in jail. Your mother ran away from your father when his true nature came into the light, and she had left you with him. But this was no time to be sad, you're here to celebrate the start of summer. And when it ends, you'll be studying what you love.

Yuqi, on the other hand, was treated like a princess, being an heiress and all that. Her family never allowed her to lift a finger, but she was head-on stubborn. At 16, she got her license, started working at a neighborhood car shop despite her petite figure. That's why she's studying engineering. That's also why you two took a liking to each other, you never treated her like royalty and she treated you like a friend instead of a commoner.

"The apartment is going to be ready by the end of the week. So, I hope you're okay with the hotel for a few more days." she said.

"The hotel room you got us is bigger than my house. I would be happy to live in it for the rest of my life." you told her. She laughed a little.

"Don't be ridiculous, the apartment will be better."

"I can't believe your parents paid for everything. I feel so indebted to them."

"Well, you're like a second daughter to them. Plus, you were the one that helped me with my bullies back in high school. They're grateful for you." You gave a sad smile at the memory. Since she was from a rich school, many people befriended her for the money. Being the naive girl she is, she let them use her in hopes that they would continue to be her friends. They would abuse her when she couldn't provide them with what they wanted.

"I would give anything to be a part of your family." you sighed, taking another shot, but this time, less aggressive.

"Has he tried to contact you?" she asked, her eyes coming together to show that she's worried. Her index finger tapping on the palm of your hand. It's the little gestures that she does that makes you feel better.

"Yeah, the prison called last week. They said he was getting better. But I have no idea what they're talking about. Better at what? Not hitting people? Being a person? I don't know."

"Well whatever better means, I still don't want you to go near him. He almost killed you that one time." She shuddered at the thought, her shoulders shaking.

"Don't be dramatic. It was only a few bruises."

"But you still went to the hospital."

"Okay, enough with that. Let's drink some more." You poured some more alcohol into her glass, she hesitantly drank it. You two were never quite the type to go to bars, but it was your first night in the city. It was a good way to celebrate. The bar was dimly lit, few people here and there as it was a weekday. You and Yuqi sat at one of the high top tables overlooking the scene outside. People walking the streets, the streetlight casting long shadows behind them. It was late. As you were about to order another drink, the waiter came by with two colorful drinks on the tray.

"We didn't order this." you told him.

"It's a treat, from the gentlemen over there." The waiter gave you a smile and nodded in the direction of the table one the other side. There sat two guys who raised their glasses at the two of you. You slowly nodded back. One had light brown hair cut in the shape of a coconut, the other one had dark brown hair, his mullet growing in beautifully. Yugi looked at you before taking a sip of the drink.