Chapter 19

The semester was coming to an end, and that means a whole lot of finals. Undergrad studies still couldn't prepare you for the stress of finals week. Most of your finals were big projects rather than a test, so you've been spending most of your free time in the library. It was now almost 9 at night and you were hungry and tired. The paper was due at midnight and you just needed to finish your revision. Your eyes were close to shutting but there was a slam on the table. You glanced at the sound, it was a carton of milk, attached to a hand.

"Looks like you might need a break." he said, giving you a smile.

"Thanks, Yugyeom." You replied. He was in one of your classes and was good friends with Jungkook. You could see why, the share the same energy to an extent. He wore a gray hoodie and black jeans. He didn't look like a grad student but believe it or not, he is."Why are you here so late?" you asked. He took a seat on the chair opposite to you and leaned in with his chin on his arms which laid on the table. You poked the carton with the straw and began drinking, feeling satisfied with every gulp.

"Well, I was waiting for someone to finish studying, but it's been a couple of hours and I don't think she's going to leave any time soon." he explained, his eyes were still on you.

"You can't blame her, the semester is coming to an end. Her projects must be important. Why don't you just study with her?"

"I am." he said. You gave him a confused look.

"What?" Instead of answering you, he pulled out a book from his backpack and began reading. "Why were you waiting for me?" you asked. You two weren't super closed. Sometimes you ate lunch with him and Jungkook and it never looked like he noticed you. He gave you the same mischievous smile he gives to all of his friends. His dark hair fell over his eyes and occasionally he would wipe them from his face.

"I wanted to ask you out to dinner. But it's too late for that now." he said, finally looking up from the book. It was an expression you haven't seen before, curiosity mixed with maturity. It made you gulp unconsciously.

"Oh, I see. I'm sorry for taking too long, I guess? But you could have said something earlier." you said, unsure of the appropriate response to his directness. It was silence in the library, as expected of the location, but the silence was deafening.

"That's okay. But this means you owe me a dinner." he smirked. You couldn't help but laugh. The poor boy probably had practiced this a thousand times before saying this to you because it was delivered perfectly.

"Alright. Sounds good Yu. Where should be go then?" you asked. He thought about it, mouth moving left to right.

"The new French place near campus?" he suggested. You have heard about the place, and there's a discount for students. It would be the a nice dinner.

"That sounds good. Dress code?" you asked.

"Colonial, of course." he teased.

"I'll make sure to have wig powdered."

"Me too. Alright, tomorrow at 7 then. Don't be late." He winked, then got up. On the way out, he bumped into, none other than, Kim Namjoon. Yugyeom bowed to apologize to his hyung and left, jumping up and down. It seemed that Namjoon had been in the library for quite some time already. He gave you a cold stare as he approached, also with a carton of milk in his hand. His walk made you nervous for some reason, the aura and power that he emits. His eyes locked on you and it made you shrank in your seat.

"What was that about?" he asked, taking the seat next to you and pulling the chair close to yours, practically closing an space that was there before.

"Um, h-he just came to ask me something, that's all." you answered, your eyes moving back on your paper. But his stare burning you.

"Ask you what?" he asked, his voice was low.

"To dinner."

"So like a date?"

"I guess." You didn't know what else to call it. You didn't feel anything in particulars, romantic wise, for the boy. But he was a friend, you couldn't say no.

"I see." That was the last thing he said. You knew he came to pick you up because he was the only ride available at that time. At least he purposely made it this way so that he could be the one to take you home. The car ride was quiet and you didn't know if you should say something or just leave it at that. You didn't do anything wrong, you have the right to go out for dinner with a friend.

When you got back to the apartment, mostly everyone was asleep. Seokjin was in the kitchen. "Joon, I made your favorite-"

"I'm not hungry." Namjoon said before storming off into Hoseok's room. Seokjin looked at you in confusion.

"What's his problem?" he asked. You shrugged.

"I think he's mad at me." you said in a quiet voice.

"What did you do this time?" Seokjin sighed.

It made you feel guilty, you pouted like a kid. Your heart felt heavy that Namjoon wouldn't even look at you, and he didn't even say goodnight like he normally does. "I just accepted a dinner invitation with a friend, that's all."

"Y/N, I'm sure you know by now the extent of Namjoon's feelings for you. You should have been more considerate." Seokjin said, gesturing for you to sit at the kitchen table with him.

"Oppa, you know what happened between the two of us. It's not that simple." He nodded.

"Yes, I do know. I'm not being biased here but I see the connections that you two have. You can't deny that."

"I don't know." you answered. It was an honest answer. He was a good friend and an integral part of your life. And you really can't deny how your heart beats for him. "But I can tell you this, I'll set it straight with Yugyeom at dinner tomorrow night."

"Okay." he said. Then he added, "Joon's a good guy. He has his faults but he'll treasure you." You knew that. You were just scared about the future, which could mirror your past.