Chapter 8

There was a crash in the kitchen, followed by some screaming. And then silence. Then the rhythm would repeat itself a few times. The first time it happened, you literally ran out of the room to check that everything was okay. Then after that, you just kind of let them be. Jungkook invited you and Yuqi over for his birthday dinner. He didn't want to do anything big, so Jin and Yuqi are currently coming up with a big menu.

You had learned a lot about the boys. The oldest, Seokjin, finished culinary school and was working to become the head chef at one of the hot spots in the city. He said he'll invite you to the restaurant for your birthday. Yoongi, like Namjoon, is also a music nerd, except he graduated and was working at BigHit entertainment. Hoseok and Jimin are dance majors while Taehyung is acting and Jungkook gaming development. It all fits their personality somehow. How great that the world had put these 7 people together.

Namjoon suggested that while waiting for them to finish, you two would try reading the book. You never thought about that so you left your book at home. So you're sitting on his bed, side by side, reading Demian.

"So, explain what this chapter is talking about." he said.

"Sinclair feels torn between two worlds. I understand the concept, like good and evil. But I don't understand why he would want to go into the other world, away from his family."

"You're saying it as if he has a choice. In a way he does, but it was the temptation and guidance that drew him in." Namjoon explain. He thought about something for awhile, before proceeding. "Take myself for example, it might make you a little uncomfortable."

"Okay?" You said cautiously

"My crush on Seol is like the other world. Taboo but I can't help it." He began speaking, you already knew where the conversation would lead to. When the two of you are together to study, the topic of Seol always comes up. Namjoon never explained how his crush came to be, but he would talk about the little things she did that caught his attention.

"Alright I think I get it." You waved your hand at him, trying to stop him from talking any further.

"Let me finish." he said loudly.

"I'd rather not hear about your love story. As interesting as it is, I'm still heartbroken." You clutched your heart dramatically. He laughed it off. He has gotten used to this side of you. It really looks as if you guys were getting somewhere.

"And hypothetically," he went on, ignoring your acting. Your mouth forming into a pout. "If I had accepted your feelings and be with you, that would be the pure world, where things would be right."

"But you don't want me, you want her." A piece of your heart was definitely crush, but you kept a smile on your face.

"Exactly. I can try to want you, but-

"But you can't force your heart to feel something it doesn't. You really have no filters, don't you?" You grew used to his comments since the month and a half you've known each other. He never meant anything malicious by them. That's just how he is as a person. Straight to the point. You two went back to reading, but not for long. Jungkook and the rest of the group got back from a day of shopping with his hyungs spoiling the crap out of him. Then Jin came inside the room to tell you that dinner was ready.

"Thank God." you mumbled before getting off the bed. You brushed pass Jin to meet with everyone in the kitchen. Jin turned to Namjoon with a confused look.

"What was that about?"

"I think I said something stupid." Namjoon answered. He ran his hand through his hair, feeling frustrated with himself.

"You always do, especially around her. I get that you two started off on the wrong foot, but we're all friends here. You should be nicer to her." Jin said, sometimes, he can act mature like his age.

"I-I want to be nice to her though, hyung." Namjoon whined. He really does want to, because you have done nothing wrong. In fact, you were way too nice to him considering the situation. He felt guilty for making you keep that secret, he felt guilty that you have to know the secret in the first place.

"What is it that you want, Namjoon?"

"To be her friend?"

"Is that all you want with her?"

"Yeah. I think. I feel comfortable around her. And she never holds her opinions back, especially about me. I think it'd be good to have her as a friend."

"Right, friend" Jin chuckled, seeing something that Namjoon doesn't "Well you're doing a terrible job. C'mon, dinner is waiting." Outside in the kitchen, the group had already taken their usual seats. Yuqi and you naturally sat next to each other. The seat in front of you was empty and you just knew he would take a seat there. Once everyone has sat down, Seokjin stood up, all eyes went to him.

"We are gathered here today..."

"Oh my god, hyung. This isn't a wedding." Jungkook laughed out loud.

"Shut up, you brat. Let me be sentimental." Jin yelled at the birthday boy. "Jungkook-ah, I can't believe you're finally 22. Please stop punching me every time your banana milk runs out."

"Hyung!" the maknae grumbled. The table erupted in laughter. Jungkook's face became red as his hyungs took turn reciting an embarrassing story about him. Taehyung talked about the first time Jungkook got drunk and went on a karaoke rampage. Jimin talked about the one time Jungkook tried to impress his mom by learning a new dance but ended up twisting a muscle. Hoseok talked about the time pranking Jin but it ended with Jungkook getting punched in the face by worldwide handsome and had to go to the emergency room. Yoongi finally laughed and talked about all the times they went out for lamb skewers.

It was so nice to see a group of people, unrelated, who love each other like family. It was admirable. Finally, it was Namjoon's turn. Jungkook's eyes were very expectant. You could really see how he respects Namjoon, you don't get it, but it must be nice for him.

"Jungkook, I've seen you grow up for about half of your life. You were once such a shy kid with big dreams. And you still have those big dreams, except now you have grown into a mature young man. I'm so proud of all you had become and I know you will do even greater things in the future. I love you."

You could see Jungkook's eyes getting red. And he lowered his head. Namjoon walked over to give him a hug. The sight brought a smile to your face. After dinner, Namjoon and you offered to clean up since you guys didn't help with cooking. The others would set up the living room for a movie night. You washed the dishes while Namjoon rinse.

"Hey." he said.

"Yes?" you answered, eyes still on the dishes.

"I think we should talk."

"About?"

"Us." You almost dropped the plate you were holding, it slid out of your hand but you caught it in time. You looked at him in shock. A tinge of excitement inside your body.

"Okay?"

"Starting today, I'm going to be a better friend to you."
"Friend? Weren't we already that?"

"Yes, but I realized I was inconsiderate to you. Like saying mean things. So from today, I will be a better friend."

"Oh, okay." you answered. You two went back to washing the dishes. The silence grew. You were glad that maybe your friendship would be more solid now. But the realization was glowing in red light, that it would be so hard to get over Kim Namjoon.

A/N

Sorry for the crappy chapter. I think I ran out of energy for this or something. But it'll serve as filler, maybe.