Chapter 4

The rest of the summer went by as a blur. You finished moving into the apartment and decorating it. Yuqi and you had to call for some help from Jungkook and Taehyung, who were glad to help out, they also invited some of the other boys. They helped painted the rooms and carried some of the furnitures. Yuqi denied all helps from her personal servants, which was admirable and also stupid. The two of you ended up buying dinner for the boys, which you didn't mind since they were very polite. Yoongi drank the most, Seokjin cracked a few dad jokes that seemed honestly funny but none of the boys laughed. Namjoon didn't come, for the moving or dinner, and you were glad of it.

That night, after he left you in the hall, you just shrugged it off as if it was nothing. But over the next few days, a feeling of isolation crept over you. It was your first chance at love, and it faded so quickly. It sounds too dramatic, but you really thought he could mean something to you. And he did, for just a second. His kind smile, his clear laugh, his dimples. They were never meant to be yours.

When you told Jungkook what happened, he placed it upon himself to apologize to you. "It's not your fault, Jungkook." you said to him.

"Yeah but I still pushed you to do it. I just didn't think he would say something like that. It's so unlike him." he replied back. You said nothing. You didn't know the guy and therefore had no idea if this was normal behavior or not. You stopped dwelling on it and focused on preparing for the new school year. Yuqi had already gotten an internship at a tech company somewhere in the city while you have just gotten in touch with a local elementary school. The first day of classes is the day after tomorrow and for the most part, you have everything you would need. But looking at the empty fridge that house some rotten tomatoes and expired milk, you decided to go to the grocery store. By your side at that, Yuqi is having a "rough face" morning where her already perfect face refuse to work with her, so she'll be hibernating until further notice.

The walk to the store was short, but despite that, you hopped on your bike instead. The area you lived in wasn't densely populated. There's a playground in the front for the children in the area. Any main streets would be a five minute walk away. The summer breathe felt pleasant against your cheeks. Your hand gripped tighter on the handles as you turned the corner. Unknowing to you, someone else was also turning the corner. You collided straight into him. He fell backwards, landing on his butt. The white bags in his hand flew and dropped next to him. You heard something splattering, like shells breaking. When he looked up at you, you were shocked and a little relieved. You quickly got off the bike to help him.

"Watch where you're going next time." he said in a bore tone. It indicated that he wasn't hurt in anyway.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." he answered sharply without looking at you.

"I'm so sorry, Namjoon." you said, wiping some dirt off of his shirt, but stopped when you realized what you're doing was very creepy. You took a step back and letting him do it himself. When he was done, he looked up at you, eyebrows knitting together.

"Do I know you?" he asked. You expected him to laugh and say that he was joking, but judging from his facial expression, he really has no idea who you are. A part of you was hurt. His name was at the top of your head while yours was thrown away the minute he left that club.

"Um, it's Y/N. We met at Mingyu's party a few weeks ago." you said slowly, the whole time, observing his features. They were the same.

"Y/N? Hmm...." Then it clicked. "Oh, right, you're the one that- Nevermind. Sorry I didn't recognize you. The lighting is different now." His voice was still bored. He offered no further explanations and you have a feeling that he doesn't really care about making sure you know his excuse. You scoffed a little to yourself, rethinking what you saw in him in the first place. Jungkook's description was much more romantic, you just can't see that now. "Fuck, my eggs broke. I have to go back now, what a bother." For some reason, you felt that his last statement was referring to you. Without saying anything else, he turned his back and headed in the direction he came from.

"Well sorry for bumping into you." you said to no one in particular. You lifted your bike up and continued to the store. He was a few meters in front of you. You tried to pedal slowly, to keep the distance. It was a dumb idea as you could just ride normally and be ahead of him but it felt weird to have him watch your back. Then he stopped abruptly and turned around, looking right at you in the eyes.

"Are you following me?" he asked. This time, there was a change in his voice, slight agitation. It was better than bored at least.

"No, I'm going to the grocery store too." you answered.

"Great." he rolled his eyes and continued walking. You were in awe. He seemed like a completely different person than a few months ago. Maybe this is how he really is and he's only nice to his close friends. You're really evaluating what you saw in him in the first place. You started to pedal again, this time not holding back, and eventually you reached the store before him. Scoffing, you grabbed the last basket and walked on. Scanning up and down the aisles, you grabbed what you needed. As you approached the dairy section, you saw Namjoon picking up a new carton of eggs. When he saw you, he gave a glare before walking away quickly. You sighed in irritation, grabbing a new milk and headed for the checkout lines. 6 out of the checkout lanes were closed leaving the last 4 packed, even self checkout wasn't available. By the look of the lines, it would take about half an hour before it would be your turn. You noticed Namjoon standing in the line next to yours.

"I can help someone over here." A new line opened up, but the voice was too quiet for anyone to notice, except him. You eyes Namjoon as the both of you took a step forward in that direction. His gaze mirrored yours and so did his steps. Then he bolted, knocking the basket out of your hand and causing you to fall down. You spun around quickly and pulled on the hem of his pants, the egg cartoon flew out of his hand and flopped on the ground. A familiar scene. You laughed quietly and ran for the check out lane while Namjoon was still standing in disbelief.

"I hate you." you heard him saying.

"The feeling's mutual, buddy." you called out as you grabbed your grocery bags and left, never to see him again.

***

"You should have seen his face. I wish I had taken a picture of it." you laughed. No matter how many times you tell this story to Yuqi, it'll always be funny.

"Y/N, you should stop laughing. Karma might hit you like a truck." she said.

"Ha, I'll be waiting then." The two of you arrived at the entrance of the university, jaws dropping at the size of it. Back at home, the biggest building was the local movie theater that housed about 1000 people. Here, it seemed like it was 10x that size. With graduate school, the entrance ceremony was less tedious. You had an hour before it start so the two of you decided to roam around a bit.

"Y/N? Yuqi? Is that you?" A voice from behind asked. You turned around and a familiar figure pulled you into a hug.

"Oh my gosh, Jimin! What are you doing here?" You didn't mind his hugs, he was one of those people. It makes you feel welcome.

"Well, this is my school." he answered, feeling proud. "Are you guys studying here as well?" You two nodded. The whole time you guys have known the boys, you never bothered asking where their school was. You were glad it was here, since seeing familiar faces around would be reassurance in a new environment. "I'm so happy that you guys are here. I'll have to tell the boys."

"Speaking of that," you began. Already cracking up.

"Y/N, don't." Yuqi warned.

"Shut up. Anyways, that Namjoon of yours is such a clutz. Dropping eggs everywhere, I'll tell you more about it later."

"Y/N!" Yuqi said, in a more urgent tone. She was facing you, her eyes in shock.

You stopped laughing and sighed."He's right behind me, isn't me?" Both Jimin and Yuqi nodded. For some reason, the fact that he goes to the same school as the boys had slipped your mind. You squeezed your eye shuts, the hair on the back of your neck raised. His stare burning you.

"Y/N, are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." Jimin said.

Yuqi snickered. "No, she saw a truck."