Chapter Seventeen: The Basement

"Why'd you do that! They were both murdering me with their eyes!" Eren shouted in a hush voice, trying not to grab any unknown attention. For all they know, there's zombies down here. But there's still a chance their isn't. [Name] was hoping on that chance. [Name] sighed and turned around to face Eren, but she couldn't see him because of the darkness that filled the quiet basement. 

"I was put on the spot by both of them, it was weird and awkward," [Name] explained with a shrug as she felt around for a switch at the top of the stairs. Eren sighed quietly and shook his head with a small smile on his face. 

"Why couldn't you just choose one? It wouldn't be that hard," Eren mumbled the last part. [Name] glared in the direction she guessed Eren was in because of the body heat she was receiving from it. 

"Just shut up and find the fucking switch," [Name] growled annoyingly. Eren rolled his eyes and let out a chuckle. 

"You're starting to sound like Levi, sure you aren't around him to much?" Eren asked with a grin as his finger gripped onto the familiar feeling of the switch. He flicked it up and the lights came on one by one with a delay. The basement slowly started to light up and [Name] could finally see the inside of it. 

"Probably. Oh well, I guess he's rubbing off on me," [Name] said with a shrug while Eren tried to hide a laugh. Realizing what she had said, [Name] turned around and glared at the almost laughing Eren. 

"Not like that you pervert!" [Name] said loudly as Eren's laughs broke free from his mouth. The loud noises from the top of the stairs came to a stop quickly when they heard something from one of the doors along the wall at the bottom of it. Both Eren and [Name]'s eyes darted to the end of the stairs expecting something, but nothing came. Confusingly they stared at each other.

"Did you hear that too?" Eren asked with furrowed eyebrows. [Name] slowly nodded and looked back at the direction the noise came from. 

"I think it came from there," she said pointing at the old wooden door. The words 'SUPPLIES' were stuck to it in large blue letters. Some of the blue was stain red, and [Name] guessed it was blood considering the other blood pools outside of the door. [Name] looked at Eren, Eren looked at [Name].

"Should we go?" Eren asked staring at the bloodstained door with nervousness. [Name] shrugged and sighed.

"We're supposed to clear every room out, remember?" [Name] said then started walking down the stairs, not bothering to be quiet. Eren nodded and followed behind her. The main room showed no life -- or dead. Or both. It looked like a break room almost, with the vending machine, table, chairs, and one of those water things that had Styrofoam cups beside it. After look around, [Name] noticed there were five doors. They all had different labels.

One said 'STORAGE 1' and the one beside it said 'STORAGE 2.' The one on the other side of the one that said 'SUPPLIES' was labeled 'BATHROOM.' The last one didn't have a word, just the number five. 

Eren and [Name] walked together to the only door with blood on it and as they got closer they heard the muffled noises behind it. [Name] frowned and furrowed her eyes in slight confusion, wondering what was going on in there. But there was only one way to find out. [Name] place her left hand over the cold metal handle before looked at Eren. Eren gave her a small nod which [Name] returned. Slowly, [Name] opened it to reveal something they didn't exactly expect. 

A man with dirty blonde -- or light brown, hard to tell -- was trying to attack a small ginger girl. Her hair was a little bit different than the usual ginger, it had more of a honey or peach color to it. The man was obviously turned and the girl was crying as she continued kicking her feet at the zombie. It looked like she was forcing herself to do it.