Chapter Thirty-Eight: Candidate One

"Just spill," Sasha groaned as [Name] unwrapped the clean, white towel from her damp hair. [Name] shook her head and shrugged.

        "I told you. We talked and ate then fell asleep. That's all," [Name] sighs while letting the violet brush untangle her [h/c] strands. Sasha groans and bangs her head against the wall of the bathroom.

        "I wasn't born yesterday," Sasha informs.

        "Never said you were," [Name] replies, setting the brush on the vanity. 

        "Just admit it."

        "Admit what?"

        "You know," Sasha winks. 

        [Name] stares at her with fake confusion, "No, I don't know. And I'd rather not know." [Name] brushes past her nagging friend and out the door of the bathroom. Sasha rolls her eyes but follows [Name] down the hall and into the kitchen. 

        "I can't believe this," Hanji mumbles into her hands as soon as [Name] and Sasha are in earshot. 

        "Believe what?" Sasha asks, plopping into the stool right next to the scientist and snatching an apple from the fruit bowl on the island. Connie looks up from his comic book, "She made a cure." 

        Both [Name] and Sasha are surprised by this. "Already?" [Name] questions.

        Hanji shakes her head. "It worked, but it didn't."

        "What do you mean?" Sasha furrows her eyebrows, confused at what Hanji meant. Hanji sighs and removes her face from her hands.

        "I mean, it worked but it also didn't. When I first gave Gunther the antidote he changed, well, more like healed into his normal self and he was back and everything. He even said my name, but not long after he was cured he had a heart attack of some sort," Hanji explains with a frown. 

        "Do you know what caused it?" [Name] asks.

        "I examined his body and I guess the cure didn't completely heal him, because his heart was in pretty bad shape," Hanji says with a sigh. 

        "You should have Armin help you out," Connie interjects, "you know, with your next cure thing."

        Hanji stares at the wall for a few seconds then turns to Connie. "Do you know where he is?"

        "Probably in the library or something," Sasha answers. Hanji flashes her a smile and nods, "Thanks."

        As Hanji's footsteps fade into the hall, [Name] quietly smiles to herself. "This will all be over soon," she blurts. Sasha grins and nods, taking the first bite out of the fresh, red apple.

        "The sooner the better."

"More blood? Seriously?" Eren whines as Hanji shoves a needle into his vein and drains a small amount of blood into her syringe. 

        "It's necessary," Armin says.

        "Yeah, yeah. I know that. But it doesn't mean I enjoy it," Eren mutters, glaring at his best friend. Hanji pulls out the needle and walks over to Armin. 

        "So last time, Gunther's heart stopped about a minute after the injection?" Armin questions.

        Hanji nods, confirming his question. "I don't know exactly what happened, but it just seemed like a regular heart attack." Armin nods, taking in the information. 

        "Do what you did last time," he orders, "but do it twice."

        Hanji blinks, wondering why the blonde haired boy would think that would work. But it was their only idea so far, so she might as well give it a shot. Hanji nods and pours Eren's blood into the clear, plastic tube.

        Picking up a black marker, Armin raises the glass tube that will hold the next cure and writes, "Candidate One," on it in big, bold letters.

Levi tosses on a new, clean gray long sleeve on and walks out of his room. Last night went better than he planned, a lot better. And he didn't mind it one bit. In fact, he was actually happy.

        Hanji and Armin are working on a cure, him and [Name] are on great terms, and he's not in that piece of shit place ran by Kenny. 

It seems like he's on Cloud 9. Strange as it sounds considering what the world has became, but it's the truth. Levi is happy, actually happy. 

        And he isn't going to let anyone ruin that for him. Not Kenny and his crew, not Jean and his stupid horse face, not anything. 

        The cure was going to be made and the world would slowly turn back to normal, and [Name] and Levi? They'll live happily with a big house in the city.

        But in order for that to happen, the cure needs to be made. So, Levi being more eager than ever walks into Hanji's lab with his signature, "let's get this done" face on. Hanji turns to Levi and grins, glad to have her old lab partner in business again.

So, the story is going to be coming to an end soon. Like soon, soon. And the chapters are going to be shorter than usual because I don't want to rush everything into one chapter. I mean, I could, but it wouldn't be that great of a chapter. I'm going to estimate and say there's going to be about 3-5 chapters left, not counting the epilogue.

Be sure to comment any ideas you still want to happen in this story, it might not be too late.