Chapter Twenty-Four: Nile Dok

[Name] sat there, her face shoved into Levi's chest as salty tears continued to form and fall out of her glossy [e/c] eyes. For the past ten minutes it had been like this, silent except for the muffled sobs of [Name] and quiet whimpers from Sasha. Levi didn't exactly know what to do in the situation, so he awkwardly put his hand on [Name]'s back and rubbed small circles with his thumb and pointer finger. While [Name] sobbed into Levi's chest and Sasha into her own blood covered knees, everyone else just sat there staring into space.

Connie, Armin, and Eren didn't know what to think. The trio had actually gotten close to Marco in the past week and the half of living inside that mall. Whenever Eren and Jean would get into an argument, Marco was the one to stop it and talk some sense into them. Jean didn't want to believe it. To believe that his freckled friend of over ten years was dead. It wasn't something he could just accept and move on with. 

Sure, losing his coworkers in the beginning of this mess hurt him -- but he got over it because he didn't know them the well. Jean knew [Name] blamed herself for Marco's death, everyone knew it, but yet none of them had the energy to say anything about it. It was like a dream to them, a very bad dream that they wanted to wake up from. 

Except it wasn't a dream, it was reality and there was no waking up from it. 

Is this what Petra felt like after losing Auruo? [Name] couldn't understand her pain back then, but know she does. And she doesn't like it, not one bit. Mikasa and Levi were the only ones not upset about it. Sure, Mikasa felt bad but she was never close to Marco. As for Eren, it was like seeing his mother get devoured by those flesh eating monsters, bite by bite. Although it wasn't as bad as that, it was pretty close. 

So this is what losing a friend feels like, [Name] thought as she let out another muffled sob into Levi's wet T-shirt. Besides [Name]'s sobbing, the only noise was the engine of the rusty green tank they were in. Reiner had gone through the small door that separated the two parts of the tank, leaving the new acquaintances to grieve by themselves. 

"It's all my fault," [Name] muttering into Levi's shirt, breaking the unsettling silence. Eren looked up at [Name] with sad eyes and tried to deny it but no words came out. 

"No, it's their fault." Jean snarled, both hands formed into shaking fists. He kept his gaze glaring at the metal floor, and his jaw set. No one had to ask to know who he was talking about, it was out and obvious. "If they hadn't crashed in, and we hadn't helped them out Marco would still be alive."

"Even if we didn't help them, there could still be a chance that one of us would be dead," Levi pointed out bluntly, yet truthfully. 

"There's not telling what could've happened. What happened, happened. We just have to try to forget about it," Mikasa added, her eyes boring into the side of Jean's face. How the two of them talked like nothing happened, it sickened him. It made him boil even more with anger, to the point his face started turning red.

"Marco knew what he was getting into when he stayed," Armin spoke staring sadly at his hands, "he knew what the possibilities would be." 

Even though what Armin said was the truth, nothing but the cold truth, Jean didn't want to believe it. Someone was to blame for it, and it wasn't [Name], it wasn't the zombies, it was the three strangers that just had to crash their parade of safety. The tank must have hit a bump, or curve, because it threw Sasha and Connie onto the floor. 

"What the fuck?" Connie groaned as he slowly sat up. Sasha groaned quietly, but didn't bother to even get up. Instead, she rolled over so she was on her back and shut her eyes. [Name]'s sobs came to a stop and she slowly detached her face from Levi's chest. Levi stared down at her with concern clearly written on his face.