Chapter Thirty-One: The Scouts

"This feels like deja vu."

        "Yeah, isn't that basically the exact thing those MP's guys said when we first showed up?"

        "Oh, yeah!"

        "Will you guys shut up?" Ymir snapped, glaring over at Connie and Eren. They did.

        "Scouts? That is that anyways?" Armin asked looking at Erwin curiously. After everything that happened with the MP's, he wouldn't be surprised if this was some other type of sick trap. Armin was smart, smart enough to figure out the hardest math problems and answer test answers like it was nothing, but when it came to real things such as trying not to act nervous in front of his crush, most social events, and trying to figure out if someone is lying don't come easy to him. 

        But lately he's been getting better on the last one.

        "It's a group of people I started," Erwin explained, "but it's more of an organization. Nothing like the MP. I swear." Levi stared at him, judging and watching him with his gray eyes. "And why should we trust you?"

        "I knew it!" The female Scout said loudly while staring at Levi with a grin. "Hey Shorty. Long time no see." 

        Levi focused his gaze on the brunette, wondering what she meant. But their was really only one person who called him Shorty without having to learn the hard was not to. "Shitty glasses?" Levi asked squinting at the girl. The girl gasped and put at hand to her heart like she was offended. 

        "Rude," she gasped then her face turned into a grin, "I'm surprised you're alive." 

        Levi rolled his eyes and scoffed. "If anything, I'm the one surprised that you are alive." [Name] felt slightly awkward, and for some reason she felt jealous. She didn't know why, she knew that Levi had to have some friends when the world was fine. But the fact that it's a girl that seems to have known him longer annoyed her. What if they've dated? Or were some kind of friends with benefits? [Name] thought, I really shouldn't be thinking about this, in a world like this. Or worrying.

        "Hey, you alright? You look like you're going to throw up," Sasha asked looking at [Name] with concern. [Name] blinked and nodded her head, wiping the sweat off her forehead in the process. "Yeah, I'm just a little tired." Sasha nodded, but her face was still covered with concern. "Really, I'm fine. I just need to rest. How about you?"

        Sasha shrugged. "Hungry."

        [Name] laughed as the truck came to a stop in front of a big building that had a tall, messy looking fence built around it. The fence was about eight or nine feet tall with different types and shapes of wood nailed to it to make it stronger, and their was a electronic gate in the middle. The truck slowly pulled up the the gate then stopped completely. Their was a camera looking down at them and what looked like a microphone and speaker off the the side of the driver's side. 

        "It's just us," the blonde driver said into the mic. Seconds later that gate started to open, slowly, and almost loudly. Once the steel, gray gate was open the truck drove in and parked just as the gate started closing. The driver got out and started walking towards the large glass doors without saying anything, just swinging the keys to the truck around his finger. 

        "Follow us," Erwin said hopping off the truck with the still unnamed brunette following. When everyone else was out and off of the truck the brunette spoke.

        "I'm Hanji, and this building is the Scout's base," she said while walking to the glass doors. Erwin had already walked in and was talking to another guy with blonde hair. Hanji opened the door and walked in, with Levi and [Name] following right behind her. The others followed them while looking around the inside of their base.

        It was almost exactly like the outside, big, white, and silver with lots of windows. "This place used to be a science lab," Hanji explained then opened a white door, "and since I'm a scientist major, I've been trying to find a cure or anything really." 

        [Name] looked at the small glass cage that sat in the middle of the room. Their were computers and high tech science machines all over, one of them was making an annoying beeping noise. Inside the glass cage was a zombie. His skin was paled and bruised, the once full brown hair was now thinned and falling out, and his teeth were yellow and green. 

        "And this is Gunther. He used to be a member of the Scouts but then he got bit," Hanji said, her voice softening. 

        "So you locked him up in a cage?" Eren asked. Hanji shook her head. "He wanted to do it. He hoped that I could try and find information about it."

        "Have you?" [Name] questioned.

        "Not really. Besides the bite thing and how they turn, I haven't gotten much information. The whole thing is confusing and basically scientifically impossible. They have no heartbeat, and no brain activity. It makes no sense," then she turned back to the group, "enough about that, I'm sure you guys are tired and hungry. Follow me."

Later that night, while everyone was full, clean, and asleep, Eren stood next to one of the top floors windows. The sky was dark, but the moonlight and starlight shined down on Earth, adding a little light while doing so. Eren was in a different change of clothes, some gray sweatpants and a plain white long sleeve shirt. His hands were shoved into his pockets, and his back was slightly leaned back. 

        He couldn't stop thinking of his bite.

        It was still there, blue and pale. But there wasn't anything different about him. His heart was still beating, his brain was still working properly and he didn't have the desire to eat flesh. It's been about two months since he got it. From what he's seen, most people turn within days. They don't even last a week after getting bitten.

        But he's been bitten for two months now. 

        There wasn't any signs of turning. Unlike Petra and Thomas, Eren hadn't paled or gotten bloodshot eyes. His skin was still it's natural tan color, and his eyes were still sea green. He didn't feel sick at all. He felt normal, perfectly fine. 

        "What are you doing still up?"

        Eren quickly turned around to see Hanji in sweatpants and a black T-shirt. Her glasses were slightly crooked and her eyes had bags under them. "Just thinking. You?"

        Hanji sighed. "Still studying Gunther."

        "Found anything new?"

        "Nope."

        Eren shut his mouth and closed his eyes. When he opened them, he was stare directly at Hanji. "I have something that might help you out, a lot."