Chapter Forty: The Curing

[Name]'s eyes stared worriedly over at Marco, who was sitting in the middle of the back of the truck, rocking back and forth slightly. No long after they had gotten out of the mall with their supplies and loaded up into the trucks, Marco's memories came back. A few details and images at first, then suddenly all at once. It was terrible. Marco felt terrible. 

        "There was a group," Marco whispers. Jean was sitting right next to him, trying his best to comfort him, but couldn't. The only person who could really understand Marco is Tyler, who is still back at base getting over his memories as a zombie. 

        "There were three of them," Marco continued, "two girls and one guy. They looked like siblings." Marco stopped and buried his face into his arms that were crossed over his knees. 

        "I killed one of the sisters," he says after a full minute of silence, "I just.. ate her until she was completely gone and nothing but a few pieces of flesh and bones. She could've been cured like me." The last sentence was just below a whisper, but everyone still heard it. 

        "Almost there," Hanji informs from the front of the truck. Nobody says anything back. They should be celebrating Marco's return, but the mood was quickly put to rest once his memories came back. 

        The rest of the ride to base was silent except from quiet sniffling noises coming from Marco. As the trucks pulled up to the gate Marco wiped his eyes and sat up. "This is the base you were talking about?" He asks Jean. Jean nods, not saying anything. Erwin gets out of the truck and punches in a code for the gate then hurries back in and drives in. 

        Everyone piles out of the truck, Hanji hurries into the large building to start working on the cure to make it airborne. After all, there are only two days left until the Military Police go on a killing spree. Marco's eyes scan over the building, surprised at how big it is. 

        "C'mon," [Name] says, giving a slight tug on Marco's arm. Marco looks away and nods, following her into the building. 

        "This place is big," Marco notes. [Name] nods.

        "You get used to it.. kind of," she adds. 

        "So what happened to you guys, you know, after those people busted in?" Marco questions once [Name] hands him some fresh clothes. 

        [Name] sighs, not really fond of looking back at the past. "Well, they were apart of this organization called the Military Police, or MP for short I guess." Marco walks into the bathroom, leaving the door cracked open so he could still hear [Name]. As he cleans himself and changes, she continues with the story.

        "They basically kidnapped us and used us for slaves," [Name] informs, "it sucked. A lot. We were trapped in there for almost a month, until Erwin, Hanji, and Eld got us out after our horribly planned escape. It probably would have worked if Eren didn't knock over a really heavy shelf." 

       Marco laughs lightly and steps out of the bathroom, refreshed. "I could actually imagine that."

        "Yeah well, while we were being chased by MP's with armed guns Jean and Eren kept arguing about whose fault it was," [Name] adds, shaking her head. 

        "Once we arrived here we found out Hanji was trying her best to work on a cure," [Name] continues. 

        "I'm guessing she figured it out?" Marco assumes. 

        She shakes her head, "Actually, she didn't get even close until Eren stepped up and did something."

        "What'd he do?"