Chapter Twenty-Three: Strangers

Everyone stopped in their place, but their heads snapped to the front entrance. What once was all barricaded up and decorated with glass doors was now torn open and had piece of glass scattered everywhere. And what caused this?

tank.

A large ass motherfucking tank. (According to [Name].)

Or, at least [Name] thought it was a tank. It looked very similar to the tanks in the old history books she was forced to look at and read back when she was in school. The tank was a rusty green color, brown almost. There was a built blonde haired male sticking out of the hatch of the war machine and he was too busy shooting the zombies with the machine gun attached to it to even notice the surprised and shocked expressions of the people inside the mall. 

"Reiner! We don't have much ammo left!" A skinny, tall brunette shouted at the blonde, who [Name] assumed was Reiner, as he popped out of the driver's hatch then quickly shoved himself back in. Right after the brunette disappeared back into the tank, another head popped out. Except this time it was a blonde haired girl. 

She worn a bored expression on her face and her hair was pulled up into a low bun, but a few stands of her bangs continued to hand freely from her face. "Just hurry up and kill them, Reiner!" She shouted at him then went to duck back in when her gaze fell of the other nine humans with shocked expressions. 

"What's taking you so lon-" The brunette started to say as he squeezed his upper body out of the tank then stopped short when he noticed the people his comrade was staring at. Levi frown and pulled out his gun that he seemed to always keep hidden under his shirt and jeans then pointed it at the three strangers.

"What the fuck are you shitheads doing here?" Levi asked slowly, but [Name] could hear the anger hidden in his voice. By now everyone had a least some sort of weapon out, it wasn't the weapons they had used when they first arrived at the mall so that was sort of a bummer, but at least it was something. 

[Name] angled her knife and glared at the blonde female. Even if her face was as cold as a demon's, her eyes were a bright heavenly blue, and were big, too. "We're being chased down by a herd and we lost control of the tank," the female said bluntly. Eren frown at her bluntness but didn't say anything. 

"Well, leave," Jean said glaring at her. The other blonde, Reiner, was too busy shooting zombies with the machine gun to even listen in to the intense conversation going on behind him. The loud noise the gun made didn't help either. 

"Wait, hold on a second Jean! We can't just abandon them!" Marco argued while he held his handgun out in the zombies direction. "I don't care, they let them in," Jean sneered and glared at the girl again. The girl only stared at him with bored eyes and made a 'hmp' noise through her shut lips. 

"[Name] and them didn't abandon us! We have to at least give them a shot!" Marco cried, the gun in his hand waving around aimlessly. 

"No."

"Stop being mean, Jean."

"I don't trust them."

"I'm sure Levi didn't trust us when he first met us."

"I still don't, actually." Levi informed, earning a scowl from Jean. Marco sighed and shook his head. "Whatever, Jean just ask [Name] what she thinks." 

Jean snapped his head to [Name] who just looked at him confusingly. "[Name]," Jean started and [Name] gave him a small nod, "do you think we should help them?" [Name] pursed her lips to the side and thought about it. Should she? After all, they did break into their living quarters and let zombies in. But on the other hand they didn't really have a say in the events that happened.

"Help now, talk later." [Name] said insisted, but yet it seemed more like an order to the other. Levi kept his mouth in a straight line, not having anything to say. He didn't trust the strangers, but if [Name] wanted to help, he'll help. Before Jean could say anything, [Name], Connie, Eren, and Sasha started walking forward towards the herd of dead. 

Armin sighed and followed behind them, Mikasa directly in front of him. Levi slowly blinked before heading in and exterminating the dead intruders, and Marco followed shortly after shooting a zombie directly in the forehead. Jean frowned, obviously not agreeing with the situation, but helped out anyways.

So there they were; killing zombies for people they didn't even know. But like [Name] said, it's better to help now and talk later. Not only are the strangers lives on line, their's are too. 

[Name] forced her knife into a woman's skull while she kicked another one away. Like all the other times before, the corpse went limp and [Name] continued to go on with her killing spree. Levi didn't have his two swords with him, only a gun and long pocket knife. He was mainly using the knife, but he had the gun in his other hand just in case one of them go to close to him while he's using his knife.

Connie and Sasha were killing -- or fighting, fighting just sounds better, right? -- side by side with two random objects they randomly picked up when everything went to chaos. Eren, Armin, and Mikasa were all close together fighting with knifes. Eren was the only one with a gun though. Marco was shooting with his gun while hitting zombies with a hanger, and Jean involuntarily beat the zombies down with a pole the once belong to a clothes rack. 

Reiner was still shooting with the attached machine gun, but he was running out of ammo quickly. The brunette had his lower body in the driver's hatch and was shooting with a handgun, and the girl was harshly kicking the heads of the infected while standing on top of the tank. No words were exactly heard, they were all to busy fighting. 

"We're out of ammo!" Reiner shouted and glanced worriedly back at his two companions. He noticed the other people and looked at them confusingly before looking back at his friends, decided he'd ask about it later. "We'll get your fat ass out of there and do some actual up close killing," Levi snapped, causing Reiner to frown. 

"Nobody asked you shorty!" Reiner shouted back down at him with a smug look. "When this is over, I'll be the one killing you." Levi said deadly, but serious. Reiner's face dropped and he shook his head, looking back at his friends for something. 

"I agree with him," the girl said, "just get out." 

Reiner rolled his eyes and lifted his built body out of the hatch. He was surprisingly tall to [Name]'s surprise, and very built. Reiner reached back down into the hatch and grabbed a gun then pulled his arm back out. Just like his brunette friend was doing, he started shooting the zombies in the head. 

Another loud crash and glass breaking came from inside one of the stores close to them. None of them were in the position to see what it what, since they were all surrounded by the dead and all. But what seemed like seconds, more zombies surrounded them. It was all sudden, too quick to see. But instead of the zombies just coming from the front entrance, it seemed like they were coming from all directions. 

More after more kept coming, bunching up with drooling mouths at the sight of humans. The smell was terrible, but [Name] was now used to the rotten flesh smell now, unlike when she first smelt it. "I don't know how long we can keep going. More of them keep coming!" Armin shouted, and [Name] started to regret her choice. 

"Just try your best!" [Name] shouted back, trying to sound encouraged but her attempt was weak and Armin saw right through it. Never underestimate a book worm. Armin clamped his mouth shut to prevent from saying anything more. 

"There coming from every direction now, we need to leave!" The girl shouted as she killed another zombie. 

"How?" Connie shouted back, not taking his eyes off the zombies around him. 

"There's probably enough room for all of you in here! Just hurry up!" The girl shouted lastly and hopped into the hatch. Connie quickly made a break for the tank, Sasha right on his heels. Reiner helped them up then literally shoved them down into the hatch. Next was Eren, then Mikasa and Armin, then Jean and Levi. 

But both [Name] and Marco were trapped. 

"We only have room for one more!" Reiner informed and everyone inside glanced at each other worriedly. 

"I'll stay," [Name] insisted and pushed Marco towards the tank while she shot two zombies in the head. Marco quickly shook his head and dug his heels into the ground. "No, [Name], I'll stay." 

"No you won't. I'm staying; you're leaving. Now go," [Name] said and tried to push him again but Marco stayed put. Marco looked down at her and smiled down at her sweetly. "You've already done enough for me, it's my time to pay you back," Marco said softly. [Name] frowned and looked at him with confused eyes.

Yes, she did help him out. She accepted both him and Jean open arms, she talked to him whenever he was down, and even helped him forget about all the death he's seen, even if it was for a short while. 

"W-What? No! Not with your life, you're leaving and that's final!" [Name] objected. Marco smiled and shook his head. 

"No, [Name] you're leaving," Marco said and pushed her forward with easy. Marco looked up at Reiner and mouthed him to take her. Reiner nodded and grabbed [Name] by the arms and lifted her up. [Name] thrashed around trying to make him let go as clear salty tears ran down her cheeks. 

"It's fine," Marco assured, "everything will be fine." 

But it won't, she thought as Marco walked further into the herd and continued to shoot the zombies. 

One shot.

Two shots.

Three shots.

Four shots.

Five shots.

Six shots.

Sev- Marco pulled the trigger but nothing came out. He frowned and smacked his hand against the black handgun and tried again, but got the same result. Marco's eyes widened in terror and his hands started to shake to the point where he dropped his gun and hanger. [Name] watched in tears as the zombies slowly closed in on her freckled friend. 

"No! No! Get away!" Marco screamed, but soon his screams were no longer able to make out into words. Just screams. Ear piercing screams as Marco got dragged down by the zombies that crowded around him. Sasha, Jean, Connie, and Armin had tears in their eyes. Eren had his eyes shut tightly and his hands covering his ears to try and block out the painful screams.

Jean wore an angered expression on his face, but the tears streaming down his eyes like a river showed his sadness. Sasha had her head buried into her knees and her eyes shut, but tears still managed to escape. Armin just looked down sadly, small tears forming in his eyes. Connie's fist were clenched and his teeth were pressing against each other harshly, and tears flowed out of his eyes. Mikasa looked sad, but tried her best to mentally block out the screams. Levi just looked away.

But [Name] had it worst of all, because unlike the others, she wasn't safe inside the tank yet. She was outside, on top of it, witnessing her friend's death. The zombies bit roughly into Marco's flesh, one even teared off most of the skin on one side of his face. The screams came to a stop and were replaced with the moans and groans of the human killers. 

As [Name] went to scream out Marco's name, Reiner roughly shoved her down the hatch and hopped in right after, shutting the hatch door for good.

--------------------
DON'T HATE ME. I'M SORRY. Not the best chapter, I'm sorry. We've been working harder in volleyball and I've been getting really tired when I get home now. Comment your thoughts on this chapter? Oh and ideas. Ideas help. :D