Chapter 1

In the province of Manila, there is a prosperous and peaceful town. It is hidden, and at the very end, where the expanse of the ocean can be seen, where see the beauty of the mountains.

Here I grew up and saw the gradual growth of Hacienda Montenegro. I am one of those who help make organic mats, backpacks, and chairs made of solid wood from the mountains of our town.

I can say I am content with provincial life here. Abundant living and natural resources. My grandparents raised me when my father and mother died in a forest fire. Because our house was in the middle of the forest, they did not survive the relentless fire.

I was eleven years old when I was orphaned, adopted by my grandmother and grandfather, and brought here from the mountains. They had no one with them, especially since their only child was my father. I help my grandfather harvest rice. I help make a backpack and a mat for Grandma occasionally. That helped my studies because of the money raised there.

Many of them here are still leaving for Manila. I don't know why they must leave when this town is rich. Based on what I heard in my class, the buildings in Manila seem so high! There are many opportunities to work there. Others I knew there went to college.

I once had a curiosity about what Manila is. What do they call a building with lots of light and drinks?

I looked up at the high sun. I close my eyes. I bent down and wiped the sweat off my forehead. I grabbed the backpacks and went to my grandmother's barn and others her age.

"I'm done, grandma." They looked at me and smiled. I am proud of my work again.

"You're a nice girl, Aurora; why don't you send her to Manila, Tessa? "A friend of grandmas said. I put the bag and others on the table and listened to them. This is not new to me. I always hear praise.

"Yes, Tessa. And she is of age she doesn't have a boyfriend yet? Oops! Such a maiden is kept. Look! Her nose is lovely! The eyelashes are long! Her eyes are like dolls! The body is like those models! I immediately remembered my girlhood. "I just smiled at what I heard.

Grandma shuddered and laughed. "You know, because Aurora is the only one with us, so I'll take care of her. That's why I'm so desperate for her to go to college. The tuition is expensive now. "

I rested deeply. I can afford to study. I don't want to disappoint them.

"Don't worry grandma! I'm going to take a part-time job to somehow add to the school expenses."

"You're brilliant! I hope my daughter is like that, too, but she's stubborn! So, she got pregnant!"

The conversation continued as they worked on another project. Despite making organic things, grandmother was also one of the land managers of Montenegro. She was the leader when harvesting and tending the rice fields of Montenegro and Grandpa.

We entered our house made of wood. I saw my grandfather listing and counting the bills.

"Wow! The amount of money we have, Grandpa ah!" I spoke. I saw my grandmother preparing a bag and a bracelet that we once made from seashells that I had picked up.

"For this, we'll keep it when you go to college. The rest, for the electricity and our food."

I lost my smile as I felt so much pity for the family I have now. We are not rich, but we are rich in love. We don't even have money, but nothing equals our appreciation. I was fortunate with them.

"Thank you, Grandpa! When I graduate from college, we will leave for Manila City! I will work there for a Montenegro company and always take you around!"

Montenegro cares about their people. I once met a Montenegro couple at their gathering. Every Christmas, we were all invited to their mansion and celebrated Christmas together. I also heard that Senyor Juanito would give me a scholarship, but that has yet to be confirmed. But I hope it's true that we will pay only for books and other expenses.