Chaper 1: Welcome

Here I am sitting in the passenger seat.

Listening to music that puts me at ease, as my mother cruises down the crowded highway. The wind from outside the window kisses me with a welcome, as we're crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge. My stomach turned, and blood raced towards my heart in one motion—I was nervous. Yet, I'm pleased that we made it here in one peace.

My name is Xavier Dixon. I'm a young African American 16 year old, and gifted with many god given talents. I was born, and raised in Phoenix, Arizona—the only place I called home for the last 16 years of my life. Due to my mom being a surgeon, she was offered a new position if we'd come and live here. At first I was a bit hesitant about moving, but I didn't want to be selfish, knowing how great my mom is at what she does. Every last patient she's operated on lived to see another day, so I'm guessing this city could use somebody like her.

I was caught off guard when my mother first announced we were moving this past Monday.

Packed up our things on Tuesday, and got out of school for summer break on Wednesday. We boarded a plane that same Wednesday evening, but we were impacted by a storm later on that night. Our flight was delayed for a few hours, but eventually we began traveling again, and landed in San Francisco this Thursday afternoon.

Our next objective was to get to our neighborhood in the city of Oakland, so my mother was pacing herself as we proceeded to travel along the bridge. Out the corner of my eyes, I see that my mother was glancing over in my direction and her mouth was steadily moving. From having my headphones in both of my ears, my surroundings were entirely inaudible, so I took them off.

"Ma'am?" I ask if she had said anything to me.

"I said I think you'll like the neighborhood we're moving too. I bought us a house in the suburbs, I thought it'd be a surprise." My mom confessed as she grinned.

"Oh, that is quite a surprise. I wasn't expecting that." I responded not knowing how to feel about it.

"I'm glad and I can't wait to get over there. Everything is already set up on the inside. We just have to see if we like it or not." My mom added as she's now looking at the GPS system hooked into the car. "Only a few minutes to go kiddo."

"Alright cool."

I covered my ears back up, and continued to look outside of my window, observing the city first hand.

It didn't seem too crowded, nor did it seem too spaced out. Kind of reminds me of the way Chicago is built, just not that many skyscrapers, or any skyscrapers at all. The only issue that provoked my nerves, was the crime rate this city is usually known for. But I don't want that to worry me on my first day here and I trust that my mom know what she's doing. 

Besides, it's not like we have a choice

* * *

A few minutes after arriving in Oakland, my mom announced that we were finally in our new neighborhood. The grass was green, the houses were vibrant, and the atmosphere seemed calm. It was very quiet on this side of town, and everything in this neighborhood appeared to be welcoming.

After a few minutes of cruising the road, we finally came to a stop in a red bricked driveway, and in front of us stood a big beautiful tanned colored house. I took out my headphones and admired its beauty.

"We're home." My mom announced smiling in glee.

"We're living here?" Chills emerged up my spine.

"Yup." She unbuckled her seatbelt. "Come on, and get your bags out of the trunk."