Chapter 8: Feels Like Summer

Looks as if luck was on our side tonight.

Not only did the police arrive to take away those thugs, but the cop that showed up was Markus's Uncle. Made things a whole lot easier on us, because his uncle can trust his nephew. It didn't stop them from interrogating us though, but we told the truth and had witnesses to back us up. 30 minutes was all it took, girls spilling out every detail of what went down and us four telling our side of the story.

Self-defense found us innocent, but as for the others, I can't say the same. Michael and his fellow teammates from Oakland Tech has a ruff slate and an insane dispute with Oakland High. This incident wasn't anything new from what I've heard, and that's why it was so easy to be handled.

I'm just glad that everyone is safe, and no one ended up dead.

"Alright, Mr. Rowe. We got all of the boys in custody, do y'all want to press charges?" Markus's Uncle—Officer Don asked.

My friends and I stood behind Mr. Rowe—Claudia's Father— as the officer spoke to him. Asking if he wanted to press charges, he looks back at us all and asked. "Do y'all want to press charges?"

All eyes were on me, but I didn't feel as if it was my decision. Their expressions said otherwise and weren't going to back down unless I said something. Rubbing on the surface of my front two knuckles, I face my attention to Markus—and I don't know what it was but the connection we've developed surfaced me. I knew what to say.

"Nah..." I look back over to Offer Don. "... we think they learned their lesson."

"Yeah, don't lock them up." Markus said, "Just send them home, and don't let them come back here."

"Alright that's your decision... they'll be going home. And nephew I don't want you to be fighting anymore. Make sure you tell your parents to come over to see me, your cousins have been asking about you. " Officer Don said

"Yes sir, I'll make sure of that." Markus said

"Alright, y'all enjoy the rest of your evening." Officer Don said

Everybody waved goodbye to the officers as they left with Michael and the others. Now that trouble was gone, a worry floods within everyone.

"So." Arron uneasily approaches Mr. Rowe. "Does this mean the parties over?"

"Not unless y'all start another fight. Y'all may continue the party with no trouble." Mr. Rowe announces.

Everyone was relieved, roaring in celebration that could be heard all over the neighborhood. Music resurfaced the silence, shaking the ground beneath us as the bass throbbed against our eardrums. The song Nanana~Ramirez played through the speakers, and everyone went back to normal.

Dancing, singing, and being a teen.

As for us, we all went inside. Markus, Jordan, and I bruised up from the fight. Claudia and her Mother insisted we'd come inside to get taken care of, I didn't mind at all. The taste of salted iron coated my tongue, as the right side of my jaw bled from the blow I received earlier.

Dabbing my lip, blood covered the tip of my fingers. I hate fighting, violence in general. I've never been a person to start violence and never will. Memories creep through my conscious, as I remember the days in elementary I never fought back against my bullies. Afraid of getting hurt worst than I did even when I didn't fight back. The older I became, the more I learned how to defend myself. There have been countless times when I could've fought someone that mistreated me but I refused to, knowing what I was capable of.

I'm God's child at heart, but when I get pushed to a certain limit I become dangerous. I never want that to happen, that's why I keep things to myself and stay to myself.