Chapter 25: Vitality

Skylar's POV...

"I can't believe I let you drag me all the way back out here."

Candace shifts her attention to me, away from the window. "Well, I didn't exactly drag you along with me, 'cause you're the one driving."

I smirk from her precarious mouth. "I'm this close to turning around Candace, why couldn't you get anybody else to drive you to this guy's studio?"

"One it's raining cats and dogs outside, two nobodies else picked up the phone, three out of everybody else you're the one I'm closest to." She counted out on her fingers.

This is the most rain we've had all summer. For days, the roads were sleek while I watched the flashing flood rage down the drains in our neighborhood. I had no intention of returning to San Francisco, but Candance and Mitchel have demonstrated strong attraction towards each other. They've been in contact for only five days, and Candace's current mood reveals that she's definitely feeling him.

"Are you sure it's because I'm the closest too you, or because I picked up the phone?"

"Well..." She lets back her seat. "...You are the closest to me. If I was being honest I didn't think anybody else would come with me to go see Mitchel. Thank you, again."

"I mean... It's no problem, Honestly. I was just unprepared, especially if we're going to a music studio while it's raining."

"Yeah, he said it'll be like our first date." Her cheeks began to blush. "And I get to hear the song he made with his group."

"Ouuu Okay. What's their stage name?"

"Chase Atlantic." Candace turns back to the window with a big smile.

"That's extraordinarily... unique. How did they come up with that?"

"Well, Mitchell explained that there's no backstory to how they got their name. They just put two words that they really liked together. So that's that." Candace elaborated.

"Interesting."

"But tell me, do I really look good in this Sky?" She asked me in concern. "It took me hours to decide what I was going to wear."

As I recalled picking Candace up from her house, she walked out wearing a pair of fitted black jeans, a matching crop top, rosy black Jordans, and a little jewelry to compliment her gleam.

"Of course you do. I've never seen you wear hoop earrings before, that's a nice touch."

"Really?" She asked, placing both hands over her ears.

"Yeah. Just make sure you stay yourself though. Faking it doesn't always mean making it. Showing the colors that you resemble is the best way to go."

"I got you." She responded 

* * *

Candace and I arrived in San Francisco a short while later. As the waves slammed on the beach coastlines, it continued to rain in both cities. The rain did not affect my driving, thanks to my stepfather rubbing rainex along my rear window. I didn't forget to check the weather this morning, San Francisco is going to receive rain all day—just like Oakland. The streets were quiet, only the sound of rain pounding concrete with many people walking along the sidewalks. While a trolley raced to its next destination, tail lights reflected off the mirrored effect of rainwater on the road. Mitchel sent Candace their location while cruising down a steep hill into the city center; it's only 5 minutes from where we are now.

"You wanna get something to eat before we get there?"

"I don't think my stomach will allow me to." She held belly, staring out the window.