Chapter 36: Curative

Stacy POV

I sit in bed on this Sunday morning, steady trying to cope with my Auntie being gone. It's only been a few days, but I'm better than I was on the fourth. However, it steadily come and goes.

My hair is tangled and room is unkempt. The cold air from the AC has left me unbothered, while my mind tends to drown in misery. My sanity's been blank for days and I've barely eaten anything. Let along I haven't left my home. Instead, everyone has been visiting to check on my family and I.

Helping my mom to cope has been a crusade. She would cry for hours and not leave her room for anything. She hasn't even cooked a meal. My father has been cooking all the meals, but leftovers jam the fridge—due to us barely eating. Having someone to pass away too soon is like having the worst illness you can think of. Back to back memories hit you like a riptide from the ocean.

However, my mom is sounding better today. I could hear her downstairs talking to my dad, as she cooks breakfast. At least she finally has the strength to leave her room, unlike me. I did not expect to spend my week off in sorrow, and grief. A tear falls from my eye again, just thinking about Aunt Dannie's smile and laughter.

I really need leave this room...

If I continue to stay in here, I'm never going to be able to heal. So, I uncross my legs and rise out of bed. My feet hits the wooden floor and it's as cold as morning concrete. Sliding on a pair of socks I exit my room, spotting my parents settling down in the gleaming kitchen. As I made my way downstairs, the smell of brunch encirles my nose and I'm spotted by both of my parents.

"Goodmorning." My dad is the first to greet me, with a full plate in front of him.

"Morning dad, morning ma." I responded entering the kitchen.

"Morning baby." Mom replied. "You want me to fix you something to eat?"

"Yes ma'am. It feels like I haven't eaten in days." I said holding my stomach.

"I know what you mean." Mom fixes my plate. "You think you'll be okay?"

"Will you?"

Her expression acknowledged my question, but she remains silent. Breathing heavily, I walked to the refrigerator and brought out the orange juice. Grabbing a glass cup, and I poured me a decent amount of juice.

"Um... Stacy." Dad breaks the silence, but his tone is hesitant. "Your Aunt Carla called today."

"How is she?"

"She's doing better... But, she called in concern of you." He added on

"To see if I was fine" I looked at my dad, taking a sip of orange juice

"Yes, but... Not necessarily."

"Well, what was it."

"She ask you if you wanted to move down there in LA." Mom jumps in.

My heart is smashed by a weight, and I freeze."Huh?"

Dad then looks at mom and nods his head.

"She knows how you wanted you wanted to go to USC." Mom proceeds in a barren tone. "And there's a coach at Harvard-Westlake High School. Dannie was a dear friend to her... She talked to her about you all the time. Shemwanted to ask you if you wanted to play for her volleyball team."

"But... what abo.."

"She said she can guarantee you a full ride to USC." Dad jumps in.

As soon as he spoke those words, my heart stopped pounding and I felt pressure. USC is for the University of Southern California, where my aunt played. This has always been my ambition. However, I have all I need in Oakland. I have love, my family, my closest friends for life, and a comfortable lifestyle. I recently obtained my first and, hopefully, last boyfriend. In addition, I have a strong relationship with the volleyball squad here.