Chapter 37: At it again

It's been a scorch this Wednesday afternoon, for we are now leaving San Ramon, California after competition. The OTA's—organized team activities— were held today out of town, and our coaches managed to get us charter buses to travel in. We had a great showcase today on both sides of the ball, and it's been such a refreshing feeling getting back on the field—against other schools.

The only unfortunate thing about being out there, was being in the damn heat. Wind was nonexistent the further we traveled away from the Bay Area. It was like walking away from a fan that stayed on and kept us stable, except it was the ocean that offered oasis.

During competition we had to drink a lot more water than usual, while watching the heat waves dance above the track. Drinking water like we did, was something I was use to anyway , but it was over a hundred degrees where we were.

We were forced to take a lot of breaks due to heat, but we still had a great time. We came out victorious, despite the hectic weather. As mentioned earlier, we were on our way back to Oakland, which is like a 30 minute drive from where we are now. Offense traveled on the bus behind us, and defense is where I'm residing now—obviously. Im sharing a seat with Markus, while Joshua sat a seat behind us.

Josh was asleep with Shades over his eyes. Markus and I laughed for 10 minutes, while making a meme out of the picture we took of him. Everybody on the bus was quiet than usual, but you could still here small chatter—it just sounded like many whispers in the wind.

Vrrrp!!! Vrrrp!!!

My phone vibrates from a message. I slide the notification down and it was my mother texting.

Mom: I'm glad you all had fun.
What time do you think, y'all will be back in Oakland.

Me: It's a 30 minute drive,
so it shouldn't be long till we make it back to school.

Mom: Alright. Y'all have a safe ride now, and don't do anything stupid.

Me: Im not ma lol.

Mom: Mhm, Ill see you when I get home. I Love you and God Loves You.

Me: Love you too ma

I closed my phone, turning back off. I exhale, while the AC cooled us off and tv show Martin played on the screens. I became weary after letting out a yawn. My eyes were falling heavy and I laid my head against the seat—closing my eyes locking my fingers together.

"Boyyy, It was hot as hell in San Ramon." Markus expressed, as he came back to his seat.

His outburst made me open my eyes, and I looked at him. "It's hotter in hell, that's for sure."

"Ha. Let's not even speak on that." Markus flops in his seat. "We has a good day out there on the field. We could still use a few improvements, in my opinion."

"Yeah, to be too perfect."

"Exactly, and that's just what we should be aiming for. After a while, we'll be looking like the 2013 Seahawks."

"LOB." I replied, hoping he would allow me to sleep. "Maybe better."

"Damn right. You know," And he continues... might as well wake up... "What if we made it too the league and we were all put on the same team." Markus asked me.