Chapter 19: Baker's Beach

Our eyes are locked on each other, enclosed in a small space surrounded by people in jubilation. She and I stood still, memories fiddling throughout my mental of when we first met—Claudia's block party. Out of all days. All the chances she had to come to this specific beach, this is the day she shows up. I would've been better off on forgetting about what happened between us. From the fact that she lied about not having a boyfriend, and to her allowing Michael to end up fighting us for a big misunderstanding. Haven't seen her since that night and I damn sure don't appreciate seeing her now. 

Stacy was out of sight and so was the others. My face heat up within, I tap my thigh rapidly to keep my composure. Not wanting to yell nor approach her the wrong way, my plan of action was to just leave where we stood.

"Hi." She says calmly, approaching me with small footsteps.

I backed up as she was attempting to get close. "What are you doing here?"

She doesn't make it obvious, but she flinch in slightest movement. "I'm enjoying the beach... just like everybody else. After being out here for a good while, I saw the crowd of people surrounding the nets. So I came and... I saw you playing volleyball. And I remember you from the party."

Her tone was different since the last time we met, introverted almost. Head was down but her neck was tilted, eyes penetrating onto mine. Seeing Angel in her swim-suit revealed a lot more than her flesh. She has more tattoos and those alone convey a tale about an individual. If I wasn't in my right mind, I'd be distracted by the fact she's half-naked but I know better than to fall for the Devil's trick. Besides, the way she presented herself during our first gathering revealed her true colors. I find it unappealing.

"Well... that's very unfortunate." I respond without thinking twice. " And excuse me I have somebody I need to catch up with." I turned around to walk away.

She grabs my arm. "Xavier... Just give me a second."

"Why should I?" Snatching my arm away from her hand. "You ain't no good, and neither is your boyfriend so don't tempt me into this sneaky web of entanglement. I don't want to have anything to do with you. Especially, if you're the same person I met at Claudia's house."

"Look, I'm sorry. I... Can you just please let me explain. Just hear me out, and after I speak you'll never have to see me again. " She pleads almost. "I don't want to be remembered that way, so just hear me out."

Because I'm a good person, I'm naturally endowed with a sensitive heart. I despise being that way in most situations, including this one but I'm only shallow for a short period of time. When someone doesn't intend you any good, it's simple to push them away, but I have a different viewpoint on this.

So I let down my guard and exhaled sharply. "Go ahead."

She exhale in reliefs, no longer in a frown. Angel eyes never left off mine. "Look. I know we got off on the wrong start, and... I realized I approached you the wrong way and I'm really sorry. To me causing a scene, to Michael and his crew to end up fighting you all... It was all just a big mess, and it started with me. It's just..." She smirks, but her demeener was pessimistic. "...When our eyes first connected... That look you delivered sent me on a prowl, and I reacted out of desire. Besides the look you gave me wasn't lustful, but interested. Even though I was with Michael, I didn't care. Because what he and I have..." She pauses. "...Well had, was toxic as fuck. That's why I got so angry when you kept bringing him up, because I knew I couldn't explain why he didn't matter in such short notice. And I hate you saw him holding me in his arms in the beginning, cause it never did mean much to me anyway. Gloating to his friends about is having sex, calling me his bitch, and buying me jewelry that I could give a fuck less about right there in my face. Do you understand how disrespectful that is? To have your own so called girlfriend to stand beside you, as you tell your friends about our business? Having all the talent in the world, but still wanting to be a thug and proving you hard. There ain't shit cool with being hard, and niggas dying every other day trying prove a point."