Chapter 29: First Impression

=Monday=

The atmosphere's tainted blue, lfrom the sheets of clouds reaching the corners of Oakland. The morning wind is chilly but the humidity remained warm, and for the first time since I've been here—the car is silent. Usually when these two are ever quiet, they're either focused or got a lot on there mind. In a moment like this it's probably both, cause Jordan is about to be the starting QB and Markus Free Saftey. I'm not sure what's in store for me, but I'm praying that everything is fair.

My mother woke me up before leaving for work this morning, offering me a ride to workouts. I declined, explaining that Markus was driving Jordan and I, so she wouldn't have to rush to work. Mom still didn't mind, but she understood I was being considerate of her time.

After giving me a kiss on the forehead, she wished me a good practice and I wished her a good day at work. Last night I made sure to pack my cleats, some extra clothes, gloves, deodorant, and a drying off towel. I also bought gallons of water to last me the full week, desiring to stay hydrated. 5:52 a.m., the three of us are cruising down the highway to school. I watched as the sky became brighter behind the clouds, yet the sun was not to be seen until 8.

It took us no time to reach Oakland High, the parking lots was emptier than I remembered. However, all athletes were to park their cars in a student parking lot behind the building. Arriving to the back of the school, Markus had located a spot closest to the building and that's where we settled. Tension evaded my chest but I noticed that no one else was here yet. Looking at the time it showed 6:01 a.m., it'll be 7 o'clock before we know it.

Markus shuts the car off, taking the keys out the ignition. "Let's go." He exits the car.

Jordan and I got out along with him, pulling my workout bag over my shoulder. We walked up to the school building where the facility resided, and the door just so happened to be propped open. Making our way through the entrance, the weight room is where we arrived. The sight of it was breathtaking, better than anything we had back in Phoenix. There are multiple racks organized with weights, dumbbells laid in front of wall mirror, and medicine balls with balancers.

Only a second after walking in, I see Coach Floyd appear out of his office. "Just as I thought, there's never been a day y'all didn't show up early."

Markus stroll his way towards him. "Well, we got one more to join the family." Markus points me out, giving coach a one arm dap.

He walks in my direction. "Fresh Meat." Extending his hand. "You think you got what it takes?"

"I don't think." I give him dap. "I know."

"Oh!" He cackles. "Alright then, can't wait to see what you got in practice today. Im looking forward to it."

"So am I."

"Wassup Bitches!" We heard another voice come through the entrance, turning around we saw that it was Arron, Damion and August. "Welcome to your first day in paradise, X-Man."

That brings some relief...

* * *

Chatter surrounds me, as everyone now migrated to the gym for warm-ups. As the hour went by, more football players entered the facility—loud at the mouth. Arrogance coated on there tongue whenever they spoke to one another. I guess that's just one thing all football players have in common, they're bouncy in the shoulders and talks a lot of shit. However, that's all they can do unless it's competition on the field and it's rare if you spot someone that's quiet.

I'm that someone...

I glance down at my phone and it's 7 o'clock on the dot, Coaches burst through doors of the gym. It was now time to put our skills to the test.