Chapter 2 - Dead men don't speak

Edited

Chapter 2 – 'Dead men don't speak'

I silently track Mums slow, sluggish movement out of the school entrance. Her shoulders angled down, head lowered in defeat and lips pursed in rage. I catch another glimpse of the murky bruises around her eyes and immediately my stomach sinks as a deep-rooted sense of guilt curls through my being. And who caused them once again? Yup, that would be me, the world's worst daughter. Scratch that, the universe's worst daughter, would be a more accurate description.

I suck in a sharp deep breath as Mum trudges her way to the car, dragging her feet ever so slightly, as if she's trying and failing to find the strength to deal with her train wreck of a daughter.

I've done it.

I've finally been kicked out of another school because of those bastards.

I'm not sure whether to celebrate because I'm halfway there to getting my family to safety or sink into a vat of self-inflicted misery because Mum most likely despises my mere existence and my life has evolved into a huge cat and mouse game that I can't escape.

Mum eventually reaches the car and I watch warily out of the corner of my eye as she squeezes her eyes shut for a mere second, as if calling upon all the forces in the world to keep her sane. A second ticks by before she opens them, her eyes now blazing with refined anger as she climbs in with pursed lips. The door rapidly slams shut with enough force to create a mini earthquake.

And there we have it ladies and gentlemen, I'm in trouble... more than I have ever been in before.

May God have mercy on my soul.

I mentally sign my death certificate deciding I'd much rather be stranded on a distant alien planet Tony Stark style than in a small metal death trap with my deeply furious mother.

Mum's emotions twist like an elastic band ready to snap... that's an understatement probably more like a bomb ready to explode and when it does it promises mass destruction, leaving no survivors what so ever. Seen as I'm the only one around to feel her wrath I'm already ten feet under with a grave stone that states;

'At the mercy of her Mother's rage. God rest her tortured soul.'

I bow my head ever so slightly, wincing at the furious silent rage radiating from her; if only it was possible for a hole to magically appear and swallow me up, let someone else be at the mercy of Mums fury for once.

She mutely starts the car and I shift uncomfortably under the weight of the loaded silence.

Dead silence.

The booming rigid quietness causes my ears to ring as I sense the imminent, inevitable, devastating eruption simmering heatedly between us. In an attempt to prepare myself for war I glare out the window, gripping my bag to my chest as if to use it as a shield against her imminent explosion that not even vibranium could withstand.

God, Casey needs to stop watching Marvel.

I silently, uncomfortably watch another school I never had the chance to like slip away until we're heading to the house, the trees speeding by as the car swiftly moves on.

There's no escape now.

I force my legs not to jiggle up and down in anticipation.

And 3...2...1

"What have I done to deserve this?" Mum asks furiously. Turning my head slightly towards her tense body in a ditch attempt to be responsible for my own actions I quickly abort mission and evert my eyes as I scramble to stare silently out the window as her laser eyes slice through my head.