Chapter 54 - 'These aren't the droids your looking for'

Chapter 54 -'These aren't the droids your looking for'

A long hush assumes as my description of recent events come to an end, I unconsciously pull at my necklace again, the harsh metal scraping across the back of my neck. The soft rustle of the trees surrounding us seems to intensify as the booming silence continues to wash over us. No one quite sure what to say or how to take in everything I revealed.

Am I truly surprised? Everything I'd done up until this point seems crazy. My life is crazy and to say that anyone sitting here has had the same experiences I have would be crazy.

I maintain a passive expression knowing this could go one way or another; they could be incredibly pissed off at me and want my head on the chopping block or they could be impressed with how far I've got and to be fair, in Archers case, I'm thinking pissed off is going to be the likely outcome of all of this.

I'm not going to pretend I haven't made a lot of trouble for him since I stepped foot on his lands; he's probably cursing my existence all over again.

My eyes dart around the group and I catch Archers gaze flickering to my uncovered hand where the weird Rune from the freaky glowing book sits, the skin feeling a lot less itchy now the fingerless gloves are off; how does Rhiannon constantly wear these things?

I resist the sigh that's building in the back of my throat as I sense Sam also staring fixatedly at the mark, his brow furrowed; what's the big deal about this? When I told everyone they all kind of just froze. Sam had immediately yanked my glove off and had a look then said ominously 'you can't let anyone see this Scarlett. Not until all this is over, and even then, very few should know about this.' Archers instantaneous reaction was to growl at him the second he grabbed my wrist before ripping it out of Sam's grasp and drawing it to him, studying the mark himself with a cryptic look in Brads direction. Sam just ignored him. The only action I've actually approved of since I found out he's alive.

Anyone who ignores Archer so flippantly is a friend of mine.

In Sam's case, he's earned points. Not quite at the friend stage yet.

My interest piques as I glance at the Rune, my eyes running over each circle, each marking... a shimmer of gold and silver catching my eyes as I move my hand and the moonlight flickers off it.

Weird.

I flip my hand over, eyes gazing for the hundredth time over the same Rune in the centre of my palm, the colour shifting again; from a shimmering silver to gold. What does this really mean? The book was blank besides those weird words 'when two halves make a whole, the light shall illuminate, what was once untold'  what does that even mean? Obviously, the book wont reveal itself until 'two halves make a whole' but two halves of what? Oranges?!

Brad releases a long, low whistle, the sharp sound capturing all our divided attentions as he searches my face "you have been busy." I guiltily rub the back of my neck "yeah, sorry about knocking you out... and punching you, kneeing you in the stomach" I wince and add finally "headbutting and kicking you." I surprisingly hear Reese muffling a low snicker as Brad sends him a dirty look before shrugging nonchalantly, though I can see the blush under his skin as he replies "you did what you had to. I can understand that. Though you have to teach me how you got passed my guard every time" I flash him a smile. At least that's one person that's not going to kick my arse.

I glance at the stone face Archer unsure of what he's thinking. I've just got one seemingly ticked off Alpha Heir on my hands. I resist the urge to roll my eyes then again, when haven't I?

"So, Rhiannon knew the entire time?" Luke suddenly asks incredulously, a twinge of hurt underlining his tone. He hadn't said a word until now, to be fair I hadn't really thought about Luke's thoughts on all of this and how much I could have potentially harmed our friendship; putting his Pack in harms way, Zeya almost being killed, Rhiannon becoming involved without telling him anything... It doesn't take me long to detect the betrayal in his eyes. Sucking it up I ignore the little pang of guilt in the back of my mind as I tilt forwards, all my instincts telling me to comfort Luke, but I pull back and take the blame instead. It's the least I can do.