Chapter 51 - Busted

Chapter 51

A short silence spans between us, his face angled down to mine, my back pinned to the wall and eyes staring up into his shimmering golden ones not full of smug accomplishment for uncovering my secrets like I expected but an intense, powerful need. A desire that whirls like galaxies with a deep rooted worry, concern and most of all determination.

A determination to get some answers.

Each emotion rising and falling like tremulous waves on a stormy night in his gaze, his wolf flickering on the surface, eagerly observing our interaction.

My eyes narrow and I raise my chin defiantly, about to give him the verbal beat down of his damned lif...

"Don't"

I almost jump at the gruff tenor of his voice, a spark of anger swirling deep in those golden orbs as he lowers his gaze to settle on my lips. "Don't bother sprouting one more lie out of that pretty little mouth of yours" heat surges to my cheeks, his voice deep and low as he speaks quietly in order to keep our conversation intimate. Nan and Brad completely unaware in the next room... well Nans unaware, Brads obviously on distraction mode.

Typical Beta move.

Archer releases the arrow which pings against the wall from the sheer force he'd asserted when he slammed the damn thing through it in the first place. My eyes narrow, breath catching in my throat as the edge of his thumb trails carefully over my bottom lip as he heatedly adds "I want the damn truth." Archers finger slips softly down my chin leaving a burning path of desire that I refuse to admit out loud as he trails the finger down my throat and pulls back my collar, exposing my badly bruised neck "and I'd love to know how you got these."

Busted.

Archers eyes are dark and foreboding, his jaw ticking slightly angrily at the sight of the bruises, but he remains cool, body relaxed and asserting a sort of dominance that washes over me as he's still angled towards me, head tilted forwards so he can meet my gaze head on, completely obliterating any sense of personal space. The bond flickers and I feel inexplicably drawn to him, my toes curl and I struggle to force my heart into taking on a more regular beat.

Having finally forced myself to focus on what's been said I inwardly bristle at the constant powerful, all seeing eye contact. Usually few can hold my gaze but Archer, Archer seems to do it with ease, infuriating ease that has my jaw ticking and my frustration rising. I can tell why the rumours of his power and strength pass from the lips of all the Packs, the wariness they hold in their eyes when they speak of the heir to the Blackthorn Pack Alpha title. I can see why Ethan was keen to meet him... well before he threatened his life.

Pushing my thoughts away I mimic Archers collected aura and narrow my eyes as I say in a carefully controlled but very pissed off tone "if that arrow had made contact with my skin, you have no idea how inventive I could have made your death, Alpha" Archers eyes spark, his lips quirking up into a bone chilling smile that would send even an Alpha a step back.

But I'm not an Alpha.

I'm this jerks mate and I'll be damned if he intimidates me.

"I don't doubt you'd try, Sweetheart" his voice takes on a husky tenor as a hand drifts casually over my arm sending heated goose bumps in the wake of his touch beneath my dressing gown. What the hell is his game? What's he doing? I grit my teeth, grinding them to dust.

Screw you asshole.

I release an unlady like snort "don't underestimate me, Mate. I'm a lot more resourceful than you think" I jut my chin out defiantly and level Archer with a scathing, deadly glare. Archer's smirk stays insolently put as he trails a hand back up to my chin.