Chapter 39 - Archer

Chapter 39 - Archer

Both Brad and Reese are waiting at the secure hospital wing for all four of us. Guards silently stand along the walls, handpicked and stationed carefully to ensure the safety of the girl inside the wing. We even have Guards surveying the outside of the building to ensure nothing and no one can get to Zeya.

She might be the key to prove to my Mother that Uriah needs arresting, the key to ensuring the Council take Uriah out and we can ultimately scour the land for Rogues and their bases. She might have men out there now looking for clues on how they entered our land so easily, quietly and undetected but it's not enough. We need to be readying ourselves for something bigger, a fight... war, invasion? I'm not sure but I can feel it. Something big is coming and we need to be ready.

Scarlett's doing everything she can, so we need to do more.

I come to a stop in front of my stern-faced Beta and Gamma, tension running high as I practically rock on my heels with the energy racing through me, immediately drilling Reese for answers;

Has she said anything? Is she fully conscious?

My wolf simmers at the surface, angrily rippling through my mind as he stalks in and out of consciousness, waiting for the right moment when my guard slips... I grit my teeth feeling my skin stretch uncomfortably. Solidarity. Unity. Strength. Calm. Control. My wolf growls lowly but I ignore him. Control now, then release my wolf later. When I know I can control him and minimise the damage he'll cause.

Hesitation ripples through me and a quiet voice whispers in the back of my mind; or is it you that needs supressing?

My wolf had been right all around.

The sense of danger, heightened awareness, the on edge feelings he's been flooding through me over the last few months. His desire to stay in wolf form, to stalk our border, protect my family, my... Scarlett. He knew something was wrong and I ignored all the signs. He was right about Scarlett and it's changed everything. She's not the danger.

She's in danger.

And I'll be damned if I don't pull her ass out the fire.

Finally there's something we're united over; our will to save Scarlett and the Pack from Uriah, from the Rogues and anyone else attempting to take my goddamned Pack out from the inside out.

A new sort of focus has settled in as I feel myself slip into Alpha mode; feeling my wolf and I merging together with the single goal to complete, and with sleep alluding me my time is well managed for me to quietly begin setting up the foundations of our counter attack. We might not know where they're going to strike first, when or even who with all the followers Uriah's accumulating, but I'll be damned if I don't prepare us. Separate the traitors and the victims from the ones in my Pack who still follow the Blackthorn rule. I have no doubt Uriah's using some sort of dark power to turn my Packmates against each other and from what I've unearthed in the Archives this whole attack has similar tactics that took down the Avalon Pack. Except Mum isn't seeing it, she's too soft hearted, too focused on protecting those who have been harmed by Rogues... kind hearted to a fault.

Never the less, this time it isn't going to work.

This time Uriah's in for the shock of his life and he will pay for those he's taken.

Brad's eyes trail to the Rhiannon as she practically bursts through the door, diving past them both. Jay following quickly at her heels. I bow my head to Reese indicating they're okay to go in as he tenses and begins to raise a hand, as if to stop them both.