Chapter 52 - Just one more thing to add to the bomb site my life has become.

Chapter 52

They're following me.

My stomach churns and I struggle to remain calm as I grip the strap on my bag, nails biting deeply into my palm as I push myself to walk a little bit faster down the path. With a heavily beating heart I try to remain calm even as I glance at the thick forest beside me. I almost freeze up at the sight of it.

It's happening again.

Are they going to kill me?

The recently healed stark white scars decorating my back begin to burn painfully and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I wince as the fear of the past almost paralyses me but somehow, I manage to stumble forwards, forcing the bile down my throat as I finger the phone in my pocket.

Who could I actually call?

Would they believe me if I told them what was chasing me?

My fingers slowly unclench from around my phone.

I'm on my own.

My arms tremble as I feel the tears hopelessly prickle in the corner of my eyes. I fight to compel my gaze to remain steadfast knowing if I make eye contact, he's sure to attack and I'm not sure I can survive another attack from them again...

He's definitely one of them. I can smell it.

I crinkle my nose, fear burning down my spine. That rotten stench no one else seems to pick up on when they're around me seems to increase with each quivering step I take, my trembling legs threatening to collapse beneath me each time my feet make a shuddering impact on the tarmac and it takes just about all my will to remain upright as my nails bite painfully into my palm.

I'm okay. I'm going to be okay. I internally chant as I try to keep myself from the panic attack itching its way forwards.

A tremor slithers down my spine, the nasty reek of stale blood and death overwhelms me as I wrestle against the vomit running up my throat. Each careful and even footstep of the man behind me sounds like a boulder crashing to the ground, closer and closer until it flattens me with one mighty blow. I struggle to adapt to my sensitive hearing everything suddenly becoming so loud it makes my head pound viciously. As if my mind and body is suddenly realising the danger I'm in.

I almost jump out of my skin as a snapping sound yanks me out of my terrified thoughts.

My steps stop and I freeze, completely petrified to the spot and barely breathing as dangerous chills race through my entire body.

A tall man stands in my path a few feet ahead, no more than thirty years old, his clothes are ratty and unkept, hands pushed deeply into the pockets in his muddy grey joggers. My heart thuds loudly and I finally gather the courage to glance behind me.

Two more have emerged.

I suck in a sharp breath as I notice another across the road from me, leaning casually against a lamppost, openly staring me down, her lips twist into a cunning smile and I tense at the flash of sharp canines appearing beneath those thin smirking lips.

My hands shake as I clutch my bag strap tighter.

I'm alone on the road with these monsters.

What do I do?

My head slowly turns to face the singular man ahead of me and I meet his murky green eyes as his lips, barely visible past his rough brown beard, twist into a vicious sneer; exposing a handful of chipped teeth "Hello, Scarlett."