Chapter 19 - Complicated

Chapter 19 – Complicated.

A weight painfully settles on my chest. It's as if I'm struggling to wake up from a dream. I feel disconnected, detached, divided from my mind but at the same time I can consciously feel the heavy, mass pressing down on my chest. As if my bodies been filled with bricks. 

Slowly, I begin to feel the pain. It swells through me and as much as I want to my eyelids refuse to peel open. I struggle to breathe, the pain in my lungs strengthening as they burn with the effort to continue to take in oxygen. I'm reminded of the pain in my stomach, the silver burn left from the bullets struggling to heal as the skin begins to double in temperature in an attempt to force the healing process... it all comes back to me.

Get up.

The voice is quiet but commanding as I lethargically attempt to open my eyes, my consciousness beginning to return to me, a white fog settling over my eyes. What's going on? I think sluggishly, my brain processes slower than it ever has as I try to string memories back into place.

Out of nowhere I feel a pair of cold hands press against my wet cheek and a strong, deep voice repeatedly saying "come on Scarlett, look at me. Look at me" I feel myself beginning to pull forwards, as if my soul is being dragged back into my body.

Something soft tickles my cheek, my head carefully placed on the strange texture as the voices grow louder and fill my sensitive hearing, the harsh sound forcing me to automatically wince. 

Why are they shouting? 

Pain splices through my head constantly reminding me it's still there. Oh god, I  groan. My head pounds viciously, as if someone's hit me from behind and my mouth feels as dry as sandpaper. "That's it, Scarlett. Slowly. Mrs Johnstone, she's coming too." 

A groan escapes my lips as the metallic taste of blood soaks my mouth. I begin to gain some sort of control over my facial features as I begin to peel my eyes open with much effort, feeling as if I'm tearing two pieces of skin apart. I can barely lift my heavy arms in time to shield my eyes from the blazing light shade above me as I'm instantly blinded. 

"Shall I call the doctor?" I hear Mum say.

My face pales and I manage to groan "what the hell just happened?" I slowly pull my arms from where they're shielding my eyes and wince as the brightness of the room stings my sensitive eyesight. Why are my senses so sensitive all of a sudden?

My entire body seems to be weighing me down as I try to unsuccessfully push myself up, panic emerges as I realise how weak I seem to be. "No, she needs to rest" Nan cuts in, moving into my line of blurry vision and somehow in my weakened state I'm able to pick up on the knowledge swirling in her eyes and for some reason I have a feeling she knows exactly what's wrong with me and whether she'll tell me or not is another question entirely.

"What the hell were you thinking exhausting yourself like that?" a familiar male voice demands, I squint up at the golden headed boy kneeling besides me, his features furrowed in what almost looks like concern... is that even possible? I barely have time to think about it as Archer shoves a clean glass of water my way "take this and drink up" He all but orders, thrusting the glass of water at me, eyes searching my face, a hand pressing against my clothed leg resting on the sofa. Instantly sparks of hot flames race through me, Goosebumps rising under the fabric that separates his hand from my skin. 

My cheeks flush red from the contact as I snap flusteredly "what are you even doing here?" for some reason I can't even force my leg to move, to knock away his hand as his scent curls enticingly around me, somehow soothing my jumpy nerves and thudding heart.