Chapter 13 "...misfits and freaks"

My body remains frozen, coiled tight like a spring ready to be released. Every cell in me burns with the pure focus it's taking not to abide to my inner instinct to haul arse out of the classroom.

The hot burn of Archer's gaze on the side of my face causes a roll of sweat to slip down my pale cheek as I fight the desire to turn around and meet his intense golden stare. The sheer focus on such a simple task causes my jaw to lock up and my gaze to tunnel in on the pointless slideshow Sir is running through. If I turn now. If I make eye-contact he'll know somethings up. Not that his penetrating stare doesn't already suggest he's figured that out.

I think my rapid heartbeat is enough to demonstrate that. Even Zeya has risked a scathing look from Sir to ask if I'm okay.

My jaw creaks as Uriah's amused stare carefully regards me, constantly trying to catch my gaze in the same window... a cool, knowing smirk on his lips.

My fingers grip the pen I haven't once moved across the paper throughout Sir's lesson, the words Uriah mouthed at me echoing through my mind over and over again until I feel it give slightly under my fingertips, which are turning a peculiar colour of blotchy red and white.

Noticing my tension for the third time, her leg bopping up and down in worry Zeya leans in and whispers again "seriously, are you okay? You've gone quite pale" but it barely processes as my mind's whirring and screams of endless questions fire like bullets through my brain. What does he mean? How does he know me? Does he know I know about wolves? Has he seen me before? Is he linked to the Rogues? No, he couldn't be Archer's Mother and Father, the Luna and Alpha, would never have allowed him into their Pack.

Rogues are bad news.

I grind my teeth is he a threat? He feels like a threat. Should I move my family? Are they safe? Are they okay? The rest of my questions are lost in the mini explosion going on in my mind as fear for my family's safety begins to take over. I need to get out of here, we should never have come but where else can we go?! I don't think anywhere else will take me! I'm literally backed into the corner right no...

'RINNNNNNNGGGGG!'

The shrieking of the large bell above the classroom door makes me jump at least a foot in the air as Zeya pulls back, surprise evident in my sudden movement. "Jeesh, it's only the bell for break! Didn't your other school have bells?"

I blink forcing myself to focus, to break through the panicked haze "ugh, yeah sorry. I... um, I zoned out."

There's a clatter of noise as everyone rises to their feet, an assault of scraping chairs fills my sensitive hearing as they kick their chairs under tables and simultaneously sling their bags over their shoulders, some shoving pads and pens into them first.

"Seriously you look suddenly pale, are you okay? We could go to the nurse, I know her quite well, she's really cool... if you need to" I smile through the tension. Act normal, stop freaking. Freaking out is useless. You need to either ignore Uriah and deny anything he might say to you and then check him out or totally grill him for information about what he knows... not the best idea actually. I need to stick with the first and try dig up everything I can on him. Maybe tail him at some point. Get a feel of what I'm dealing with.

I can do this.

Break it down step by step. Analyse and deal.

Go through the motions.

"Yeah, sorry I'm fine. The drive here was really long and I didn't sleep much. It's probably catching up on me." I smile through my panic and grab the little notes I've made and shove them into my bag.