Chapter 17 - Archer

Chapter - Archer

7.30 pm

I massage the tension in the back of my neck, the hard ball of nerves buckling under my touch as I regard the men in the room. "I think our best bet is putting extra soldiers on the west side, protect the borders between the Shard's Pack lands and ours, make sure we keep some in the towns, integrated with civilians and move some of the most vulnerable out of the town by any means necessary, we don't want a repeat of..." I trail off not saying Clayton. It's too soon.

All in the room shift uncomfortably as I press my hands on the map in front of me, eyes regarding my fathers four most trusted Pack Warriors. Jay Newcomb's father uncrosses his arms saying "and your father thinks this is alright?" 

My eyes narrow "my father left this task to me Wade, he's busy with the Council meeting and I am more than capable of protecting our lands. It is my birth right." Wade tilts his head, brown eyes lowering in submittance as my eyes flash and the power of my wolf snaps around us.

Fierce and threatening.

Removing my intense gaze away I allow my wolf to simmer on the surface, reminding the older men around me that I am still in charge here. I ignore the discomfort in my chest knowing that although I had mainly patched up the wounds my wolf had left on this Pack there are still a few, especially those that had witnessed the incident that still regard me warily even after my best efforts to prove myself. 

I glance around the room, splaying my hands on the table and regarding the older, more experienced warriors with cold indifference "Alpha Shard's agreed to the conditions. We are to work staggered, his men will never meet ours on patrol therefore there are no gaps between our borders." 

Aarons eyes flash deeply as he regards me with an impressed expression "thus no room for Rogues to get through. How'd you pull that one off? The Shard's hate interacting with other Packs" I force my expression to remain blank even though I can feel the burn of the grimace working its way into my face; my mind flickering to my last meet with the Shards Alpha. With a lot of patience, gritted teeth and sheer will on my side not to wring his neck and start a Pack war is how I did it. I refocus my blank expression what's done is done as long as my people are safe. 

 "I made him see reason" the words are clipped and sharp, my tone warning.

End of story.

Respectfully inclining his head Aaron tears his gaze from my challenging ones, but that's not before a flash of curiosity appears in eyes them before quickly fading as Heath clears his throat. My eyes slowly glide over all the adults in the room  "I don't want anyone outside this room finding out about Clayton. We don't need to set off a Pack wide panic, not with everyone's wolf being on edge with everything going on. We're going to protect our lands and fight these bastards till the last man. They. Wont. Win

My eyes sweep across the four warriors, who stand straighter at my words "I'm trusting you, Wade, Aron, Heath..." Finally my eyes connect with Van's blazing green orbs that remind me so much of his daughters, Kaylee's, fierce gaze "Van. Everything we've said in this room is to stay confidential. You are to leave silently and swiftly tonight. I'm trusting these tasks to you and you alone. Your assigned groups will be waiting in the respected lands I'm sending you, debrief them only with the pack I've given you. Stay strong and keep in contact through the Mind Link and the mobiles I've provided." I indicate at the brown folders placed in front of them, inside they'll find all the information I've strung together last minute on Pack Lines and borders, towns that need extra protection where Rogues have struck most and the mobile phones. "May the Goddess be with you" they bow their heads, taking their cue to file out.