Chapter 49 - Archer

Chapter 49 - Archer

"The sheer magnitude of forces they had here could have destroyed the town had a surprise attack occurred" my Mother's voice is soft, barely a whisper on the wind as her eyes scan over the battlefield, the early morning sun shedding light on the clearing that had been swathed in darkness.

We were lucky. Goddess, we were beyond fortunate.

A chilling breeze brushes through the clearing, a handful of our Pack warriors still moving the dead to the side and searching through those few tents that still stand. Our death toll was only four, but many were injured in the fight, the element of surprise is probably what kept that toll low... and the fact my Pack warriors are well trained and experienced in battle.

This Pack has seen much more war than the other Packs.

My jaw clenches a warrior-based Pack has its disadvantages. Goddess knows we've lost so much since the Royals fall.

My eyes scan over our surroundings, the remains of a building that still haunts me barely stands; the ruins of the once majestic building crumbles with a sickening moan, causing a few of my men to shout out warning and retreat whilst others sift safely through what remains on the far left. Searching for anything that might be useful. Anything that can tell us what was going on here. Anything that can give us a clue.

Like how the hell this many Rogues, Hunters and Vampires managed to infiltrate my lands this damn deep.

Undetected.

Just like those in the warehouse only a couple of weeks ago.

A deep rumbling growl thunders through my mind as my wolf shifts restlessly, furiously. His bloodlust still running high and burning in my veins as he snarls for the hunt.

Not now. I growl back firmly, feeling the heat shift under my skin and his overwhelming strength shift restlessly. We will re-join the Pack Warriors Patrol when we've finished up here.

My wolf snarls angrily, shifting agitatedly in my mind, the familiar prickle under my skin and sudden heat flaring across my chest warn of a shift simmering on the surface but I remain calm, resisting the shift.

I... WE need to remain calm and in control right now. Dads not here so they look to Mum, Beta Lanes and us for strength, answers and protection. We need to portray a united front. You're not helping.

My idiot of a wolf growls darkly, and after years of understanding him from single worded responses and shifts of emotion I'm sure if I could see him now, he'd be snapping his teeth together, growling and seconds away from removing my head and possibly internal organs from where they're happily, comfortably sitting inside my body. Resisting the urge to growl or snap back I cross my arms over my chest and maintain a cool, collected expression.

I feel the eyes of my pack mates flicker warily to me as if sensing my wolfs furious, bloodthirsty need for vengeance. I try not to wince as they seem to inch back, giving me a wide berth. I rub a hand over my jaw pinching my skin a little too hard in surprise as my wolfs barely controlled snarl rips through my mind and his want to shift begins to recede from my prickling skin.

Huh. He actually listened. That's different.

A thunderous snarl rocks through my mind and this time I can't help the physical wince, Mum catches the slight movement and glances worriedly at me, her eyes narrowing as I sense her own wolf beginning to cautiously watch her pup. I clench my jaw and smile reassuringly at her as I shift my weight and internally snap angrily

Goddess! Stop! We'll join the hunt when we're done here.

My wolf pushes against my control but I maintain a tight grip. The fear of what my wolf could do especially here. My gaze darkens, a place I'd sworn never to return to after what I did. After Trace and my Pack.