chapter 4

ONE YEAR AGO

You were just finishing a project when your phone rang.  You were surprised to hear Jin’s voice.  He rarely called you, preferring the privacy of texting in the chaos of people who always surrounded him.

JIN:  Good Afternoon.  Did I catch
you at a bad time?

YOU:  Not at all.  I am just getting ready to leave work.  Are you having a good day?

There was a long pause before he answered.

JIN:  Just wondering if I could meet you this evening.  Say at 6?

You were getting a strange vibe about this.  He wanted to meet, not come over?  Meet and not pick you up?

YOU:  Sure.  Is everything ok?

JIN:  Yes, ummm yes.  I just need to talk to you.  I’ll send a car at 6.  Is that ok?

Your heart sank.  Things were not ok.  You had a sense of foreboding about this entire thing.

YOU:  Sure, can’t wait to see you .  I’ll be ready at 6.

JIN:  OK, I’ll see you then.

You told yourself you were being silly.  You have spent too much time reading clients and projecting groups.  This was just something different. 

You talked yourself into excitement.  You always loved spending time with Jin. 

You rushed home and showered and changed clothes.  You picked a simple dress and overcoat.  What if Jin had a big surprise for you?  You decided to think only positive things.

The car arrived promptly at 6 and you were soon on your way.  The driver stopped at a very exclusive restaurant.  Jin did not meet you at the car, rather the driver opened your door and escorted you inside, showing you to a small private room off the back. 

Jin was already there when you arrived, standing looking out at the view.  He turned when you came in and gave you a warm smile, but did not start toward you. 

Jin killed the drink in his hand and poured one for you and another for himself.

"Alright, " you thought, "he requires liquid courage. "

Your heart set loose it’s grip on your false enthusiasm.

Jin offered you a seat and as you sat you noticed mixed drinks at the table but no menus.  So, you would not be staying long.  You tried to meet Jin’s eyes but he was pacing the room. 

He finally cleared his throat and came to sit at the table.  He cleared his throat again and began to talk.  His voice was husky and unsteady.  He swallowed several times and tried again.

Suddenly you recognized this vibe.  This was the equivalent of a job evaluation and you were being let go.  That could not possibly be true.  You tried to calm your frantic nerves. 

Jin tried again.  He started ‘ We have been long range planning for five years.  The next phase of our plan is to take the project global.  We are accelerating our plans and implementing them now . We project an eighteen month rollout.”

You were wrong.  This was a board meeting, not a job evaluation.  Jin did not stop.  He continued to share facts and figures. 

You stopped listening to his words and only paid attention to his face.   He was stressed.  You could tell he had not slept well in days.  He was striving to be honest with you.  He was concerned about you and how you were reacting.