A Second Chance

Clove POV

Cato and I decided it was best for me to stay at home with Hunter since I've been so sick. Mom comes over every day to take care of Hunter, and me, I guess.

"Honey?" Mom asks softly, knocking lightly on my bedroom door as she opens it. I'm feeding Hunter on the bed, looking up when I hear my mom enter the room. She walks over and sits next to me, smiling down at Hunter as he stares at her.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask quietly as to not disturb my feeding son.

"I think you should go to a doctor. This has gone on way too long, sweetheart," mom answers. The way she says it lets me know it's not up for discussion.

"Fine, I'll schedule an appointment," I sigh as I run my hand over Hunter's head adoringly.

"I already did, it's in an hour. I'll watch Hunter while you go," Mom offers before leaning down to kiss my forehead. "I made breakfast for you when you're done." I nod, thanking her before she walks out fo the room.

Hunter pulls back after a few more minutes and I hurry to burp him before pulling my bra strap back up. I throw one of Cato's sweatshirts on quickly before walking downstairs with Hunter in my arms. Mom has made a huge breakfast composed of eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, hash browns, toast, and pancakes. She makes me a huge plate, and surprisingly, I eat all of it.

After Mom notices how much food I've eaten, as a huge, knowing smile comes over her face. When I ask her about it, she refuses to tell me and insists that it's nothing. I run back upstairs and change quickly. I brush my teeth  and hair, put on the smallest bit of makeup so I don't look like a sleep-deprived, sick mom. I hurry back downstairs and kiss Hunter and hug mom before rushing out the door. I've given up on giving mom the spiel about taking care of my son, not letting him out of her sight, and so on. I've realized that she still has this baby thing down.

The car is still in the driveway so I guess Cato went with my dad today. I unlock the car and climb in, driving off in the direction of the hospital.

Once I get inside, I'm immediately directed into a sterile, almost freakishly clean room. A nurse walks in a few minutes later and explains that she's going to draw a little blood.

"Why?" I ask in confusion, confused as to why they're starting with a blood test.

"Your mom explained your symptoms when she scheduled the appointment. Dr. Claire believes she already knows what's going on, but she wants a blood test to confirm before she says anything," the young nurse explains as she draw the blood from my arm.

"Oh, ok," I say, still slightly confused, but decide to just go with it anyway. The nurse finishes and walks away quickly after telling me it should only take a few minutes. I lean back on the table, just thinking about this and that, nothing in particular.

Maybe ten minutes later, Claire walks in with a huge smile on her face. "Clove... you're pregnant!" She announces, nearly jumping up and down.

"What?" I ask in shock, not having expected this. "Are you serious?!" I exclaim, getting excited as her words register in my brain.

"Yes, you're about 3 and a half months along. I'm shocked that you're not showing the tiniest bit yet. I'd expect in the next few weeks that it'll start showing a ton all at once," Claire says happily.

"I'm shocked. Why was I so sick then? Cato and I just thought I had the flu or something. My first pregnancy was just aches and pains with some morning sickness. I wasn't like sick," I ask in confusion.

"Just a different pregnancy. It's nothing I'm worried about yet. Your blood test was completely normal, perfect actually. I could do an ultrasound, though, if you wanted to be sure everything was alright," Claire offers.