Chapter 12 : Step-by-Step

Tzuyu woke up, startled by her surroundings. She was in a bed. But it wasn't back at her dorm, yet the place was familiar.

It was her old home back in high school.

She jumped of her bed and walked around her room. It was just as she remembered it. She noticed a small rack by her window, filled with pictures. She took one off and examined it.

There was a young girl in it who she recognized to be herself, holding a birthday cake with a few candles on it. The cake read "Happy Birthday Tzuyu."

Tzuyu remembered this moment exactly when it happened as well.

Flashback

Tzuyu was at home for the day. She had just finished her day at school. Nobody talked to her much that day. Her friends said the usual happy birthday greeting to her, but somehow it didn't feel special. It also didn't help that Jae Won was sick that day and wouldn't be able to greet her himself.

She was currently curled up in her bed, crying. Her parents left her that day. They had to go do work at their business building and didn't even bother to celebrate her birthday or buy her a present. When she begged to them to take her to the park, she earned a smack from her mother and a scolding from her father, calling her ungrateful and useless.

Her bed was surrounded by tissues that she used to wipe her tears. She had nobody to go to on her special day.

KNOCK KNOCK

Tzuyu got up startled by the noise, not knowing where it came from. She then heard her window open. Scared, she covered herself in her blanket and tried to hold her breath, hoping whoever was in their home would not notice her. Her family often had people trying to rob the house since they were rich, but never bothered to set up security since they didn't care much for Tzuyu.

"Happy Birthday to you...."

She recognized that voice. It was deep and soulful, yet raspy at the same time. She quickly pulled herself out from under her blanket. She was greeted to see Jae Won sitting on her bed as well, holding a cake lit up by candles.

"Happy Birthday dear Tzuyu..."

He smiled and looked up at her.

"Why so sad? Did you think I'd forget your birthday?" he asked.

A tear slid down her face. She smiled and put her face into her hands.

"Thank you Jae Won-ahh"

"Tzu Tzu, can I ask you something?"

"Of course,"

However, she looked up to see him no longer smiling. The candles weren't lit. The cake had different words on it it now read:

Tzuyu Hates Me

She looked back at him to see tears falling down his face.

"Why do you hate me Tzu? What did I ever do wrong to you? I only ever wanted the best for you..."

She reached out to try and grab him, but he seemed to far away, even if he was only sitting in front of her on her bed.

Jae Won seemingly fell off the bed and onto the floor. She tried to scream, but she appeared to be mute.

A voice came booming from all around her in her room.

"You did this to me. You hate me. Why? What did I ever do wrong to you?"

Those words repressed as the voice started yell angrily. Tzuyu huddled up into her blanket one more and began to sob.

"Mianhe.... Jae Won Mianhe...."