◇seventeen◇

"G-Gwon, baby, wake up," Shoi said as she softly tapped the kids shoulder. They were laying on the grass, her feet nearly covered in cuts. They had walked through the woods, the cold weather turning their lips blue.

"Momma, where are we?" The kid asked as he struggled to awake, his cold arms were stuck in their position, making the kid slightly hiss at the movement.

Shoi shuttered out a breath and looked around, her mind trying to process her surroundings.

"We should be closer to Blinton anytime now, just a few more hours and I'm sure we'll be at home again."

"Who is there?!"

Shoi and Gwon jumped at the loud voice, making Shoi cover Gwon with her body. They laid there in fear before Shoi felt a warm hand press against her back.

"What are you doing here? This is a dangerous zone for you to be here-"

The guard suddenly stopped talking, his eyes noticing the deep cuts on Shois feet.

"Madame, what happened?"

Shoi quickly looked at her feet and held on tighter to Gwon.

"The king, uh, nothing serious-"

"He marked your child Madame, I must know more before you can enter Blinton."

Shoi's eyes widened as she heard the guards voice, her hands suddenly moving Gwons face towards her. There she found a burn mark on his neck, Gwons teary eyes resembling cracked glass.

"G-Gwon, why didnt you tell me?"

Gwon looked away, quickly covering the burn mark as he lifted the collar of his shirt. "Guard, we need to return to our house. If you must know, I tried to spy on the king but he caught me. Thats why I bare this mark now."

The guard looked over at Shoi, her eyes never leaving the mark on her sons neck. It wasnt until another guard ran towards them that Shoi looked up.

"Madame Shoi, what has happened?"

The first guard looked over at the other, "You know her?"

The guard nodded, lending a hand to get the woman on her feet, but soon realized she couldnt.

"She was Queen Penelopes friend, a dear guest at the castle."

At the sound of her friends name her eyes began to well up with tears once more.

"What happened Madame Shoi? I will personally escort you to your house back in Blinton. Do you know where you are?"

Shoi shook her head, suddenly holding Gwon close to her. Her mind was scrambling to get words out of her mouth but the only noises that came out were chocked sobs.

"Guard Boz, her child bares the mark of the King of Crystal, are you sure we should let them pass?"

"I am confident. I know their relationship with the Crystal kingdom, no need to worry, leave this to me. Return to your post immediately. General Jungkook will be arriving soon-"

"General Jungkook? Are we at the border?" Gwon suddenly asked, his face pocking out from under Shoi's hair. The guard nodded, dismissing the other to a new post.

"Shoi, what happened?"

Shoi looked back up again and prayed for the earth to swallow her. She couldnt get the courage to explain to the familiar guard what had happened. Her chapped lips opened and closed as she tried to speak.

"H-Hes looking for him again Boz, hes looking for Ameth. I dont even know if hes alive, I failed to bring him back to my arms. Boz, he marked Gwon when he promised to bring Ameth back, what are we going to do?" Shoi finally said through sobs, holding Gwon closer to her. Gwon frowned and hugged her back, feeling her tears fall onto his shoulder.