On Canvas

It was the day when Sage had to come over for lunch. I didn't have school because it was a public holiday and the women in my family spent their entire morning cooking and cleaning. I was the one cleaning. As soon as I finished I went up in the attic to paint because the afternoon light was the best in my opinion, and I couldn't always use it since I would usually be at school at that time.

As one o'clock approached and Sage could come at any moment, I found myself staring at the mirror and putting on some concealer and mascara. Whichever way I brushed my hair, it didn't seem good enough. I was irritated both because it looked bad and because I cared for it to look good today. As I was flipping it on both sides to see how it looked better, I heard the doorbell. It was him. I felt a rush of excitement spread throughout my body and I stared at myself in the mirror suddenly feeling as if he was right behind me, just like that day at his house. I ended up putting my hair up in a ponytail. My hands were shaking as I reached for my bedroom door. I opened it and went downstairs where everyone was talking at the same time and my mum was serving the drinks. Aunt Susanne was checking the potato in the oven and Sage spoke to my grandparents. Lorenzo sat next to them pretending to be interested.

I said 'hello' when I entered and I'm pretty sure Sage heard me, but he didn't look at me once. I didn't really know why that bothered me. I acted as though I didn't pay attention and went up to my brother. I sat into his lap and hugged him, leaning on his chest. Lorenzo and I, being twins, had a very strong bond and respect for each other. We were always distant from the rest of the family and we always protected one another. What was funny about us was that we were twins and we looked alike but my hair was naturally brown and his was blond. He whispered to my ear that he couldn't wait for everyone to leave and I nodded in agreement. We were all in the living room and everyone sat down to have a drink.

"How old are you Mr Devereaux?" My grandpa asked as my mum gave him his drink. I moved from Lorenzo's lap and sat on the sofa but still next to him.

"34, and you may call me Sage." Sage replied sipping on his whiskey.

I almost got a heart attack. I had a man twice my age see my panties and get somewhat sexual with me... I was always somewhat aware of this but now it hit me even more. I tried to keep my cool.

"It's a beautiful portrait of you, it looks very true?..." Sage motioned onto the portrait of my grandpa hanging on the wall whilst looking at him. "...who's the artist?"

The artist was me. My grandpa wanted a small painting of himself and I did it for him. He was very happy with it and he never missed a chance to praise me.

"Ah..." My grandpa sighed smilingly. "That is my pride and joy because it was my grand-daughter who painted it." He looked at me and so did Sage, surprised.

"You paint? Like that?" He asked not believing. I nodded not liking the attention.

I was always aware of my talent and I'm sure I could make good money painting, but I rarely painted on someone's request. Exhibitions also weren't my thing. I found my art to be personal. Each time I painted it was my soul I put onto the canvas, they were never just colours. No one except my brother understood that. Neither he understood it entirely. I mean I could make money out of it, who cares if it's personal, no one would get it. But for me it was more than that, it was a way to express my intimacy.

"Violet, show him your work!" My mother said and I almost choked. It took me a second to process it. She wanted me to show Sage my paintings and she knew that I don't like showing them to everyone. It also means Sage and I will be alone in that attic which I found to be a big deal even if it was for just a few minutes.

"It's okay, I'm sure you have better..." She cut me in half. "Oh come on, quickly!" She persisted and gave me that smile that no one was able to refuse. I felt like rolling my eyes but I didn't want to be rude.

"Yes, I would love to see it." He smiled. I saw no way out so I got up and motioned for him to follow me.

As we arrived to the second floor I walked towards the small staircase which lead to the attic door. I went up and opened it. Sage came in after me. He had to bend down to pass through the door.

"Looks cozy." He broke the silence and I smiled nervously. There was a mess, brushes and paints everywhere, clean canvases, stained cloths, some paintings were hanged, some were leaning on each other against the wall. The only neat thing was my shelf with books because I didn't use it much. Sage looked at all the paintings, he made sure he saw each one and I didn't know whether I was flattered or uncomfortable. Perhaps both.

"Do you like them?" I asked still standing in the same spot while he was all over the room.

"A lot. You'll paint something for me." I decided to explain that I don't paint on request.

"I don't really paint for other people." He stopped what he was doing and turned towards me.

"I guess I'll have to ask your mother then." He smirked and headed for the door. How sneaky...he knew my mother would insist for me to do it.

As soon as we entered the living room my mother asked him if he liked the paintings. "I love them, I'd like her to paint my garden." I was walking in behind him as he said that. Sage had a huge garden behind his house.

"Of course she'll do it!" Mum said smilingly. Sage turned and gave me that look which said 'I won'. I sighed and nodded. Even though I smiled it was more than obvious that I was bothered. Like he was clearly rich, he could easily pay someone much better and get it done, why choose me?

Susanne told us all to sit at the table and start eating the food. Sage wasn't sitting very close, but I noticed him stare at me more than socially appropriate. At one point he asked where the bathroom was and I offered to show him. I wanted to use the opportunity to tell him to stop staring.

"Stop staring at me like that, everyone will notice!" I whispered in an annoyed tone as we stood near the bathroom door.

"Ohh, so if they weren't there to notice you wouldn't mind me staring?" He smiled as he concluded. I was about to roll my eyes when suddenly he stroked my face and reached for my hair. He played with it as he told me, "You like being watched, don't you little girl..."

The new chapter is here! I hope you are all safe at home and that your families are well. Take care! Xo