Gatsby

Since I promised that I'd call them back, I messaged Hannah, Carl and Jessica in our group chat that I would be coming along with them to the cinema that weekend. I honestly didn't feel like meeting them but getting out of the house wasn't such a bad idea. I needed to start being somewhat more social. 

I dressed very casually and we met near the entrance. We got four tickets and bought some food. As always, we discussed the new gossip, talked about random things, made fun of each other and now we also talked about our summer plans. They were all made up of various outings, partying and travelling. All except mine. All I wanted was to stay home, paint and be with Sage. He was the most exciting part of it all. I would like to go out of town too but as long as he came along which wasn't really doable. It would require making up lies and hiding. That was the worst problem for us - having to hide. But in a way it also made things exciting. Obviously I told none of this to my friends, I just lied how Lorenzo and I had a bunch of plans so I could avoid having them invite me to do things together. I know it wasn't very nice of me but I can't do something which I don't feel like. The previous summer was pretty wild for me and this one I just wanted to relax.

When I got home I found Lorenzo and Harry hanging out in his bedroom. Obviously our parents knew they were friends but nothing more. I joined them for a bit and found out that Harry's dad took the news quite well. At first it took him some time to process that his son is gay but then he admitted that he saw it in him for a while. He just needed time to accept that it's for real. That was a good thing for their relationship, one person less to hide from. I was happy for them. 

As days went by Stefan was texting me more and more. He was trying to convince me to meet up and talk, maybe give him another chance. The only thing I allowed him was to call. And I did this just because I wanted a closure on the whole thing. That is in fact what I got. We talked, he apologised over and over again, begged for a second chance blah blah. I rejected him and I was happy that it was all over.

My painting for Sage was finished and that evening he was going to host a small gathering for our neighbours so that he would show it to them and use the opportunity to get to know them. Honestly I was surprised that he was interested in knowing them because he was quite mysterious and introverted. I was still annoyed that he was going to show my painting to everyone but I accepted it. It was just to the neighbourhood anyway, not a big deal.

-

Sage told me to dress up and wear something elegant. I found it unnecessary but I obeyed just the same. I blow dried my hair, put on some natural looking makeup and wore a plain beige dress with a v cut. It was short with straps and followed my body shape. I decorated it with jewellery. My aunt and mother also got ready but my grandparents decided to stay at home. Lorenzo decided to bring Harry along as Sage said that would be fine. 

My family went before me because I had a more things to do before leaving. Since Lorenzo left early with them, he sent me a message saying 'You found your Gatsby.'  I wasn't sure what he meant but it didn't take me long to understand.

I heard lots of voices coming from the outside and when I looked through the window I saw Sage's large garden extensively decorated. Lights in colours, tables with blue satin covers (yes blue satin again...), his fountain was on and it was full of people. Everything looked so attractive and fancy, and I finally understood why he asked me to dress up. I was irritated that he lied about inviting just the neighbours as it meant that many more people would be seeing my painting. I comforted myself with the fact that it wasn't that important and they would probably get distracted with decorations and drinks. Hopefully him showing it won't last long. 

When I arrived Sage was more than happy to see me and he immediately started introducing me to people. I was astonished with how beautiful and grand everything looked when I got closer. There were waiters everywhere and the house was open. His piano was moved to the side and the salon was turned into a big hall. A large table was now placed in the middle of it and the plates were set. On the wall a painting was covered with a white sheet and I figured it was mine.