30

Camber

Calum looked at me with tears in his eyes before he grabbed my hands and kissed them.

"Baby we will get through this together." He said reassuring me.

"How could this have happened Cal?" I asked with tears in my eyes. "My poor babies..." I sniffled trying not to be too loud.

"You will be fine baby." Calum said, "I think the kids deserve to know."

"Of course," I sighed. "How do we tell them?" i asked.

"We'll wait for rest period and that's when we'll have to tell them. The sooner the better Cam." He said as he kissed my forehead.

It was about thirty minutes later when the lifeguards blew their whistles to let everyone know its time for rest period. The kids came back to the chairs with big smiles on their face and I began to frown. This was going to be hard for them.

"Mom the water slides are so cool you've got to go with us when rest period is over, please!" Nathan said as he sat on my chair with me.

"No the lazy river is the best!" Skylar argued.

"You're both wrong, it's the wave pool!" Bentley said with a grin.

"Kids," Calum said catching their attention. "We need to talk about something very important."

"Like what dad?" Nathan asked.

"Am I getting a sister?!" Skylar squealed in excitement.

"I hope not, one sister is enough." Bentley said with a laugh as Skylar punched him in his shoulder.

"No, mommy isn't pregnant." Calum said as he sat down in between Skylar and Bentley.

"Then what is it?" All three of them asked.

I took a deep breath as I looked my children in the eyes and said, "I have breast cancer..."

They all stared at me for a minute or two trying to gather what I just told them. They just sat there and stared at each other. Then the tears came.

"Are you going to die?!" Nathan asked as he cried.

"No baby, mommy isn't dying." I told him as I held him in my arms.

"How serious is it mom?" Bentley asked.

"Stage two." I said.

"What does that mean?" Bentley asked.

"It means I need surgery baby." I said to him. "It hasn't spread too bad, the doctors said they have to remove my left breast for it to stop spreading." I continued.

"That means mommy will be a little sick after her surgery, so I need your guys help around the house." Calum said.

"I'll help!" Nathan said.

"No, I want to help out more!" Skylar argued.

"Will you two shut up!" Bentley snapped at them, "You're arguing over who is going to help out more when we all need to just help and not argue. Mommy is sick and all you guys can do is argue and one up one another. Grow up!" Bentley said before getting up and walking away.

"Bentley." Calum said but I grabbed his arm to tell him to sit down.

"He needs time to process this Calum." I said as I looked at the twins who kept their heads down.

So much for a fun day....

_________

Bentley

I walked away after yelling at the twins and just needed time to myself to process everything that was said.

I can't believe my mom has breast cancer. It was too much for me to even think about. In my head all I could do was overthink and think of all the negative things that could go wrong. What if she gets sicker? What if the surgery works but it comes back? What if I don't have a mom anymore?

I clenched my fists in anger and began to cry. Why did this have to happen to my mom. I was angry at the universe for even creating something so deadly. I wanted to punch a wall and break my hand from hitting it so hard, I wanted to scream out in pain, I wanted to hug my mom... My heart was aching.

I felt a hand touch my shoulder and looked back to see my mom. Tears filled my eyes even more and I hugged her tightly. She held me close and ran her fingers through my hair like how she use to when I was younger and sad. She pulled away and wiped away my tears.

"Bentley, I know this is going to be hard on you honey. But remember, your dad survived a coma, which means I can survive this. Our family is made of survivors. Nothing in this world can take me away from all of you, nothing." My mother said to me as she looked at me dead in the eyes.

"I will support you all the way mom, whatever you decide to do we will all be here for you." I said to her as she hugged me tighter.

"Let's go home." My mom said. I nodded as everyone came towards my mom and I as we all left the zoo to go home.

_____

how do you guys feel about the news?

nicole xx