Chapter 19

I wore my good coat and white gloves while Paul drove me to his old neighborhood. A thin black and white sign read Welcome To Shaker Heights.

Suddenly, my breath was taken away. As we drove through I saw humongous mansions. I mean— these cribs were big enough to fit a whole village inside!

Paul smiled as he looked at my amazement. He held my hand as we drove in the car. Finally, he turned the car in front of a gate. Two men looked into the car and smiled once the saw who it was.

"Welcome home, Mr. Newman." One of them smiled. They were both negro and stared as I was welcomed through the Newman family home gate as a guest.

Paul's car glided against the rounded driveway that curved around an elaborate fountain. He got out of the car and a man in a uniform came up to my door.

Paul shook his hand and the man nodded, stepping back. Paul instead opened my door and smiled. "I'll be the one being a gentleman for you."

I smiled as I placed my hand in his and he helped me out of the car. Paul was dressed nice as usual, in a v-neck sweater that was powder blue to match his eyes.

"Welcome to my home, baby." Paul smiles as he extended his arms.

"I'm breathless." I exclaimed as I looked up at the beautiful mansion. It was large, white and had black window shutters. The doorway was black as well and stood tall and proud. It had another wing to the house that curved out to the side, making it even bigger.

We walked between two white statues to his front door

We walked between two white statues to his front door. Before Paul could open it, his mother did. She squealed as she saw her son.

I watched as she wrapped him in a loving hug, then Paul turned to me. "Mom, meet the girl in my life right now, Elizabeth Campbell."

"Elizabeth..." She smiled as she walked to me. I knew she had so many questions in her mind, but that didn't stop her from wrapping me in a hug nonetheless. "What a nice young girl."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Newman." I smiled at her.

Paul smiled as his mother squeezed his cheek. "Please, come inside, both of you!"

She wrapped an arm around each of us as she lead us inside the house. My breath was taken away once again in the foyer.