Chapter 23

Essie stepped inside the room and gracefully shut the door behind her. Then she walked to me on the bed and stood above me.

"I don't know when you and Paul became so close, Liz Campbell." Essie said in a silent, yet intense voice. She did remember me, she even said my last name! "But I wouldn't get your hopes up. Paul and I were together for years. I understand him."

"And who says I don't?" I asked her.

"You couldn't possibly know him like I do... we have spent years together. He broke up with me in our junior year of college." Essie told me. "He's not the nice guy his family thinks he is. He had his set backs as a man just like all the rest."

"And who is to say he'll do that with me?" I asked her. She gave me a laugh.

"Who's to say he'll say with you. Are you for real? Look at Paul. Look at his family, this house." Essie extended out her arms. "His father doesn't even like you."

"But Paul does, and that's all that matters." I answered her and she shook her head.

"Aw, you think he's in love." Essie said as she began slowly walking around the room. "Well, I'm sure he thinks he's in love too."

"We are in love." I told her and she smiled again while walking.

"Paul is a very generous guy." She nodded as she stood in front of the vanity. She looked at herself in the mirror as she adjusted her hair. "He loves taking up charity projects and helping others. He's very into politics."

"He's a kind heart." I told her and she quickly spun around.

"You bet he is." She said almost angrily. "And he brings in strays all the time just to make himself feel good."

She began pacing the room slowly. "When he was a child, he used to bring in injured birds, stray cats and dogs. He'd tell me how he used to always feel bad for them."

She walked to the large window and looked out of it. "He even did it after he moved her. He'd always have himself involved in some charity, and he'd go to the negro side of town to volunteer in some church."

Then, she turned around. "And now he has you. A poor little negro girl from god knows where, that swears he loves."

She walked up to me once again and looked in my eyes. "And when he's done, he throws whatever he dragged in back out into the normal world where they belong."

I had tears filling in my eyes.

"And you know who has never left his side?" She asked with a risen brow. "Take a guess."

"You're so unhappy with yourself and it shows." I said in a weak voice.

"And you're selfish." Essie squinted. "You know his family is never going to accept a negro being with their son. So what if Mrs. Newman likes you, what about the rest of the family? They'll hate you, and they'll hate Paul for being with you."

"Paul said it's not like that!" I told her, and she laughed.

"Paul is a really nice guy." She nodded. "He'll never tell you the truth because for some reason he seems to actually care for you. All he'll do is sit back and watch you destroy his life."

"Why would I destroy his life?" I asked her.

"All of this didn't come out of being nigger-lovers, Elizabeth. It was hard work and ambition! And it was pure superiority." She shrugged. "I'm sure you're high functioning, but you'll never amount to the rest of us. And you'd never make a good wife if Paul ever married you."

I squinted at her.

"What businessmen would want to work with a man who couldn't even find a girl in his own race?" Essie asked me. "That doesn't look like Paul is very strong willed at all."

"You're so wrong and pathetic." I shook my head at her.

"No, Elizabeth, you're a selfish broad who doesn't deserve to be here." Essie said. "I suggest you leave as soon as possible. Rip the bandage off before things get out of hand."

"Paul loves me and I love him back. You're not going to get in the way of that with your jealousy." I said to her, trying to hold back tears.

"And you're going to make Paul lose everything because of what you call love." Essie said quietly. "That's a strange way of showing love."

The doors bursted open and it was Paul. "My mother didn't even ask for me— Essie what are you still doing here?"

"Leaving." She answered with a smirk then slowly brushed past Paul as she walked out of the room. Paul shut the doors then walked to me.

He cupped his hand on my cheek, then leaned into kiss me. I dodged it slowly, looking down. "I'm tired, Paul. I think I've got to get sleep."

Paul looked down at me and frowned. "It was something she said, wasn't it?"

I laid down and turned my back to him, finally letting the tears fall down my cheeks.

"Liz, whatever she said isn't true. She's a manipulator, is what she is!" Paul said, but I didn't respond.

Paul touched my shoulder and rubbed down my arm. I heard him exhale, then his footsteps headed toward the door.

After I heard the door shut, I sat up and placed my hands over my face. What she said made perfect sense, and now I felt horrible about myself.