Chapter 44

There was a knock at the door of the hotel room. Marlon was asleep in bed next to me. I was in my nightgown. I walked out of the bedroom and into the hall. When I opened the front door, Paul stood there.

He was soaking wet, his clothes dripping on the carpeted hotel hallway. His curly hair was matted down and dripping. He hadn't change his clothes from the party, nor had he bothered to bring a coat on that spring night.

"I'm sorry, Paul. I have to go home and start a life for myself." I told him softly. "At the moment I've stopped everything and waited around for you. I'm done waiting."

"Elizabeth, I told you exactly why I'm going through all of this—" Paul began, but I didn't want to hear it.

"You love her Paul." I told him. His blue eyes looked at me, he was at a loss for words.

"I love you." Paul looked down slowly.

"You love me

"You love me. I know." I shrugged at Paul. "But I know for sure that you also love her."

Paul stood still, thinking about what I laid on him.

"How could you not love her? She loves you so much." I told him, tears welling up in my eyes. "I mean, she's known you forever. She was your first love."

"But you're my true love." Paul answered. "Can't you see?"

I let out a slightly cry. "No, Paul. I can't see that."

A tear fell down Paul's cheek as he looked down at his feet once again.

"What I see is that you're confused and you somehow feel obligated to be with me." I poured my heart out to him. "And Paul Newman, if I never showed up at your door you probably wouldn't have written me to this day."

"I was guilty! I couldn't face writing you know what I was doing." Paul grabbed onto my arms with both of his large hands.

"You didn't have to do this to get on your feet. There are plenty of young, poor and lost actors like you roaming this city. You didn't have to choose her." I told him in a hoarse voice. "I'm going home, Paul."

Paul pulled me in and kissed me. I pushed against his chest, he continued holding me close to him.

I stumbled back from him. Paul shut the door behind him and continued walking in.

"Paul, I told you I'm going home!" I told him as I walked backwards. Paul took me and pushed me against a wall, kissing me again. This time, I couldn't hold back. My hand went up to his wet curls as I kissed him back, calming down.

"Please, Elizabeth." Paul whispered in my ear, leaning down as he nuzzled his face into my shoulder. I held onto him despite the fact of him being wet. I smelled his woody scent on me as we embraced there.

"Paul, you're going to marry her. I can't be there to watch that." I told him. He stood up straight, looking down at me.

"I'm going to Hollywood." He told me. "I finally got a part and I'm taking the plunge."

"If that's the case why did you have that party tonight? Why didn't you just tell Essie it was over then and there?" I asked him, then his hand pressed against my cheek.

"I told her." He said softly. My heart dropped, I couldn't believe my ears. Maybe Paul was serious about our relationship after all. "I told her I have cold feet."

Once again, my hopes were down the drain.

"Leave, Paul." I sighed as Paul leaned down and kissed my neck. "Paul, we can't do this."

My mouth was saying something totally different from my body. I wanted to feel him against me. His wet body pressed me against that wall as he kissed up to my jaw. Then, he kissed my lips deeply, his hand fisting the short nightgown I wore.

Paul unbuttoned his pants and took out his member. I looked into his blue eyes as I wrapped my hand around it, guiding him inside of me. He pressed his hand firmly on the wall in front of him and began thrusting.

He grunted and groaned in my ear with each thrust, I held onto him tighter than ever. Then, the door began opening. I knew Marlon was asleep in the bedroom and Paul was inside of me.

The door swung open and silent covered the room. Paul pulled out of me and got his pants back on fully. I stood against the wall in the same position, filled with humiliation.

Stepping toward us was Essie. She wore all black as if she was heading to a funeral. She had on black fascinator hat with lace ornamenting her elegant face. Her hands were covered in black gloves, squeezing the handle of her purse.

"I thought you brought women here that you found, Paul." Essie said quietly. "But I never imagined for you to bring her in my own family's suite."

"Essie, I love her." Paul answered. Essie laughed.

"Paul, did anyone dispute the fact you love her? I know you love her." Essie stepped closer to us. Then, she stopped in front of me and looked me up and down. "Although I can't imagine why."

Paul stood behind her, crossing his arms across his chest. She turned around to face him, standing tall and confidently.

"I tolerated so much from you. Your insecurities about having less than I. Always trying to make you feel good. Downplay my privileges so Paul doesn't feel overpowered by his woman." Essie told him. "And I watched you bring god-knows-who into our brand new house. This was all hours of the night— when you think I shouldn't be home."

"You took some classes I didn't." Paul answered quietly.

"I can't imagine why you found it within yourself to stay truthful to her in college, but you couldn't stay truthful to me." Essie cried. "I guess the city was all too tempting for you."

Paul stood there with a scowl on his face.

"Women, men, anyone. You really broadened your horizons, haven't you Paul?" Essie told him. "I even allowed Marlon into our home after I saw you... gosh Paul— I don't even want to repeat it."

I knew exactly what she meant when speaking about Paul and Marlon. I pierced my lips as I looked down, my back still pressed against the wall.

"And now here you are with this negro, making a fool out of me once again!" Essie shouted. Then, she turned toward me. "I hope you take the money my mother gave you and live happily with it. Maybe he'll piggy back off of you too."

Essie gave one final look at Paul, then stomped down the hall and out of the hotel room.