Chapter 21

Suddenly, a young girl who was gorgeous walked into the dining room. She had on a gown that made it look like she was about to head out to a gala. Her hair was perfectly styled and her makeup was done precisely.

"So nice of Mr. Newman to invite me, I just got back in town from Kenyon College." She announced.

She began taking a seat next to Mr. Newman and he shook his head with a smile. That was the first time I saw this man smile genuinely all day.

"Please, Essie, take a seat next to Paul over there. Be with the rest of the family." He nodded. I cleared my throat as she slowly strutted her way over to Paul.

Paul's neck and ears had gotten tomato red and he tugged at the collar of his sweater while she sat.

"I didn't know you were coming back home from Kenyon." Paul said as she sat next to him. He was so obviously staring at her backside while she sat.

"Well, after our play I decided I might as well come home." Essie shrugged. That's when it all pieced together for me. This was the girl Paul was sharing the flask with on that stage.

"I thought you were taking a trip to New York to see Broadway?" Paul asked her.

"I postponed it." She shrugged. "And when I came home I got a call from your father who said you were back in town as well..."

We all looked to Mr. Newman who was smiling ear to ear at the end of the table. "Mind if I smoke as we chat? We're obviously not serving food anytime soon... those damned servants..."

"Arthur." Mrs. Newman growled under her breath.

Essie rose an eyebrow and looked back at Paul with her chin high. "Well, after Mr. Newman invited me I figured it was an offer I couldn't pass up. I do live next door after all."

I was shocked because this girl was beautiful and she lived right next door to my boyfriend. The only comfort I got in that fact was hat the houses were so large, she would've had to walk a mile along the east wing just to get to his front door.

"I'm so glad you're back Paul. We can have things just like old times... you know... when we were both silly teenagers?" Essie grinned, and then she went too far. She lifted her hand and stroked her fingers in the side of Paul's hair. "I loved to see this curly hair get wet while swimming."

"Alright, then." Mrs. Newman interrupted. "Paul. Don't you have something to tell Essie?"

"Not. A. Thing." Arthur answered for him. "He looks like he's missed his old girlfriend."

"My— my— ex-girlfriend." Paul stuttered out. Essie pouted at him.

"Aww... looks like that cute stutter you used to have is on its way back." She said softly. I saw her glimpse at me across the table, then pretend like she didn't see me.

If she was in that play I know she saw me when Paul and I got back together. She was just being horrible towards me.

"He never truly lost the stutter, Essie. It comes back when he's real nervous." Arthur pointed out to her. "And a girl like you would make any guy nervous."

"Elizabeth." Paul finally got out a word. "This is Essie, she is my neighbor."

"I think we already went over that." I said quietly and Arthur chuckled out. Paul's blue eyes landed on his brother and Arthur tried to stifle his laugh.

"Oh, Paul, you never were a big speaker anyway." Essie said as she rubbed Paul's back. "You see, I'm Paul's first love. We used to run about the grounds of both of our houses... swim in the Upper Shaker Lake... all kinds of things."

Paul was silent as Essie ran her fingers through his hair. He didn't know what to say. "You know, I was never the best swimmer. I could never remember to bring a swimsuit either."

"You were such an active girl, even when you were young, weren't you?" Mrs. Newman smiled at her. "Almost boorish."

I saw a smile form on Paul's face as he looked to his mom. Mrs. Newman gave her son a wink. Essie exhaled and removed her hand from Paul's hair, then looked to me.

"We were together for the longest." She smiled. "High School was the best for us."

"That's all it was, High School." Paul said quietly. Essie shot him a glare, then looked to me.

"Oh, look at me and my bad manners." Essie said with an ingenuine smile. "And who is Elizabeth, your colored friend, to you?"

"Now don't go acting like that, Essie." Paul scowled at her. "You know that I would tell you all about her in theater practice."

"In fact, if I recall, you even saw us one day after you play." I spoke up and she rolled her eyes at me.

"If you must know, this is my girlfriend. I'm very smitten with her." Paul announced and his father began clapping at the end of the table.

"You finally tricked a girl into fancying you, bravo." His father clapped at the end of the table.

"I liked him." Essie said warmly. "I liked him a lot."

"If you didn't know Essie, you'd definitely question her occupation." Mrs. Newman interjected.

"Too bad there's no sidewalks to stand on the corner here." Arthur mumbled. He and Paul began laughing together.

"Arthur, that behavior and language is inappropriate. Leave the table please." Mr. Newman said. Arthur's smile was wiped from his face.

"We didn't eat yet." Arthur reminded his father. Mr. Newman didn't say another word, all he did was stare at his son. "Come on, dad, I'm a grown man!"

After a moment of awkward silence, and his father not paying any mind to his pleads, Arthur stood up from the table and walked off.

"I'm extra hard on that boy." Mr. Newman announced. "He was always my favorite son, I just want him to be great."

I looked to Paul and saw sorrow on his face. Then I pierced my lips together and looked at my lap.

"How about we finally eat?" Mrs. Newman suggested and called out for the help to serve us.